You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-11 16:18:58

pedepy

still no sound from front speaker

hey there

I have an intel HDA audio with the realtek ALC883 chip installed, running on the snd_hda_intel kernel module (2.6.22). Now, sound works *great* coming out of the headphone jack, but I cannot get anything coming out of the built in, 'external' speakers. I know they work, because I heard them work in vista the 1st time i booted the laptop.

I tried many different 'options' combitations to the module, and none work. I also get an annoying, odd pop and crackle sound a few moments after I boot up (and I say moments because there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it does it).

I tried disabling all power saving modes; and I have also noticed the 'speaker' volume is always set to 0 after I boot up, no matter what it was previous to that.

I have been able to go around this problem using headphones and really i guess its fine but its been kinda buggin me, cause you know, you want everything to work right ?

btw, in dmesg i noticed an odd message that says:

hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC883, trying auto-probe from BIOS...

could that be the reasons for all my troubles ? remember, headphone jack works like a charm.

thanks

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#2 2007-10-11 20:21:25

KimTjik

Re: still no sound from front speaker

May I ask what desktop you're using? In XFCE my integrated Intel HDA soundcard doesn't show up in the mixer whatever I do. The driver is working though, because this is the output of cat:

[kimolee@kimtjik ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xfe020000 irq 19
1 [CMI8738MC6     ]: CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6
                      C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6 (model 55) at 0x9c00, irq 20

What do you see when running the same command?

Anyhow if I then run "alsamixer -c 0" the Intel HDA sound-device shows up perfectly well, but it's by default always set to 0 output from all channels. Test and report whether your scenario is similar to mine (gnome mixer doesn't suffer from the same oddity as XFCE's).

#3 2007-10-12 19:48:29

pedepy

i use kde but it really makes no difference ...

and hda intel does show up in all mixers i use, its just its not playing 'through' the front speakers..

oh well

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#4 2007-12-08 02:07:52

barebones

Did you every solve this problem pedepy? I'm experiencing the same thing and I can't seem to find any solutions anywhere.

Board footer