You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-11 20:33:44

thayer
Fellow
Website

Proposal to remove Category: Customizing (English) from the TOC tree

I think the category name itself is a bit of a misnomer, seeing how nearly all wiki articles could be considered as "customizing your Arch installation."

I have already recategorized the mix of articles that were under this ambiguous section, but I am unable to remove the category itself as it's locked.

EDIT:

Oops, I forgot to mention that I think the "Arch kernels" sub-category should actually be listed under "System administration" as simply "Kernel".  The end result looking something like this:

About Arch
-- Events
Getting and installing Arch
System administration
-- Hardware
---- Arch64
---- CPU
-- Kernel
-- Networking
-- Security
-- Software

Comments/Thoughts?

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-10-11 20:38:52)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#2 2007-10-12 03:59:07

foxbunny
Website

Re: Proposal to remove Category: Customizing (English) from the TOC tree

'Customizing' is not just custom kernel compilation. It is also adding colored pacman output, creating a theme for Arch, yada yada. It's a mishmash of topics covering the process of personalizing your Arch, as opposed to carrying out administrative tasks that result in the same outcome on every Arch install.

Therefore, I think it belongs in the root of the TOC, not under sysadmin...

It's description should probably go like: "Customizing Arch Linux for performance and/or looks."

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-12 04:01:44)

#3 2007-10-12 04:30:36

thayer
Fellow
Website

I think the problem with the generalization of "Customizing Arch Linux..." is that it's too ambiguous.  Easily 75% of the wiki could qualify in some way or another as customizing your Arch Linux system. 

I think the topic should be done away with altogether. There are much better ways of organizing HOWTO's, using the categories that already exist, such as Eye candy, Desktop environments, Boot process, etc.  All these other topics can easily accommodate "Customization" articles and they will be ordered more logically in the process.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2007-10-12 10:59:08

foxbunny
Website

The question is not whether existing topic can be generalized, but whether people resort to going straight into customizing when looking for something. Sure, articles can go into all different categories, but noone said an article cannot belong to multiple categories. wink

For example, if I wanted to know what can I do with my Arch install AFTER I've configured it the way I like it, I would most certainly NOT go to the sysadmin section, but look at the Customizing section...

The important point here is the location of the Customizing node in the TOC tree. It should be either excluded, or root. Anything inbetween is, IMNSHO bad.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-12 11:00:26)

Board footer