You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-13 09:30:05

onearm
Website

Thunar annoyance

Hi all,
I use thunar as my file manager and I have a little problem that I can't resolve. I use for my private documents a partition encrypted with cryptsetup and I can mount it fine with a script or via terminal.
The problem comes up when I try to unmount the partition, because if I have thunar open (in whatever directory and even if I haven't browsed to the encrypted partition before) I can't do it, error "device is busy". I have to first close all the windows of thunar.
I understand that the device is still somewhat "busy" because of thunar, but with konqueror, nautilus and rox it wasn't so, the first let you unmount fine as long as you hadn't a window open in a directory of the partition and the other two let you unmount even in this case.

Is possible to configure/tell thunar to let me unmount the partition anyway? Btw, enabling or disabling thunar-volman doesn't make any difference.

And, second little question, is there a better way to handle a luks partition (gnome-volume-manager, hal, pmount)?

Thank you.

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#2 2007-10-13 10:52:47

dolby

Re: Thunar annoyance

try asking in the xfce forum. you'll definately get more answers than here

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2007-10-13 14:34:10

stonecrest

Are you unmounting the partition manually or through thunar? You can unmount in thunar by right-clicking on the partition. I haven't tested it since I usually only have one thunar window open, but I'd be surprised if it failed when you have a second dir open browsing the partition.

I am a gated community.

#4 2007-10-17 09:35:28

onearm
Website

I unmount with a self-made script (something like cryptsetup luksClose && umount) and it works with nautilus and konqueror but not with thunar.

And I guess you have hit the point here, because thunar doesn't show the partition at all, so I can't unmount it with it. The only partitions that thunar shows when mounted, apart from those mounted at boot time, are the ones of my external hdd and the cd/dvd inserted.

P.S.=sorry for the delay in answering but I have been unable to connect to archlinux.org until today

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#5 2007-10-17 21:59:16

Weeks

i get the same problem umounting any device.

this is pure conjecture, but thunar uses libfam, which gives the nice effect that you can see a file increase in size or just appear instantly. it's possible that libfam means that thunar is constantly using the device. although, i'd suspect that the other file managers also use libfam, so unless thunar uses it differently, perhaps that's a dead end.

i'd be interested to know what you find out.

#6 2007-10-18 07:37:04

onearm
Website

You are right Weeks, the problem is/was the fam daemon. Once stopped it, unmounting the luks partition is perfectly possible even if I'm actually browsing it.

I guess that it's a different implementation of libfam that thunar has because nautilus and konqueror don't have any problem in letting me unmount whatever partition (and can be used without fam running at all).

So I'm back to the old ctrl+r for updating the directory view instead of relying on fam; not quite "solved" but it's a little improvement nonetheless.

--
My Github

#7 2007-10-18 07:53:57

stonecrest

You should file a bug report (after first searching for an existing bug report on the issue). How else will thunar improve?

I am a gated community.

#8 2007-10-18 11:02:26

onearm
Website

I will, but I read that the author doesn't want to use inotify instead of fam because the latter is more compatible with other platforms.

--
My Github

#9 2007-11-29 11:19:45

SiD

Have you tried to use gamin instead of fam?

#10 2007-12-01 09:54:50

onearm
Website

I didn't thought of it, thanks for having pointed it out. With gamin I can unmount the luks partition just fine so I guess it can be considered solved for now (I still don't like to have another program installed only for handling file changes).

--
My Github

Board footer