You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-14 17:40:44

batman

Pacman fails at downloading files

I just installed Arch on this one computer. I only installed the base packages from the CD (0.7.1 Noodle CD for the record). Then I decided to install some packages with Pacman. I installed sudo and it worked fine.

The problem arose when I tried to install the openssh package. It first said that it could not connect to ftp.archlinux.org. That happens about 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, it seems to be able to connect, but says it fails at getting the file (the error code is 550 which Google tells me means Permission Denied). I'm having this problem now no matter what packages I try to install.

Is the server undergoing maintenance temporarily? Am I on the deny list somehow? I tried changing my IP address but it didn't have any effect.

#2 2007-10-14 17:52:53

dolby

Re: Pacman fails at downloading files

that iso is not valid. try a new one from http://www.archlinux.org/download/

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2007-10-14 20:01:46

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Pacman fails at downloading files

Use a different mirror appropriate to your location. ftp.archlinux.org is throttled.

Once you have that set up, you will find that your installed system is significantly out of date - 0.7.1 was released in January 2006. If you are careful and have no problem with a significant amount of manual reconfiguration, you will be able to bring it up to date. If you would prefer a more trouble-free experience, do as dolby advises and reinstall from the latest iso.

Board footer