You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-14 21:59:27

carzzz215

FTP install Network Problem

After I run "/arch/setup", setup runs normally.  Arch finds my NIC (which is an Intel NIC) and gets an IP via DHCP.  However, downloading from any server is terribly slow.  I opened another console and starting pinging various things.  Anything that I ping within my network is perfectly fine.  However, if I ping google or yahoo or anything else, my pings times are always around 1000ms.  So when I try to do the ftp install its is strange.  A package will download at full speed, but when that package is finished downloading, it takes about 20 seconds before the next package starts to download, so the install takes forever, and sometimes, some of the packages don't download, while others will.  I thought this might be that tcp window scaling thing, so I applied that fix (I tried both way in the wiki) both during the install and even after the install.  It seems to work for a few pings that hit about 60 to 70 ms (which is still slower than my XP machines), but then it starts to rise and rise hitting 300...400....600ms.  I tried installing arch on another computer in my network and I never have any issues at all, so this has to be a hardware thing.  Help me...I'm lost.

I'm using .08-2 core ISO.  I'm having this issue on my laptop (a Gateway NX100X)

#2 2007-10-21 00:13:55

carzzz215

Re: FTP install Network Problem

Well I solved my problem.  It has to do with the e1000 driver. More information can be found here..

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph … tid=447449

The basic fix is the modprobe the e1000 driver with the RxIntDelay=5 parameter. Like so:

modprobe e1000 RxIntDelay=5

So if anyone else ever has this issue, here you go.  I have read on the e1000 sourceforge project that this fix has been implemented into the latest driver.  Arch installs with e1000 7.3.20 version. However, the e1000 driver is now up to version 7.6.9.

I love Arch!

Board footer