You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-15 15:57:35

cabinboy

pacman address resolution failure

Hi all.  I just did a fresh installation of Arch 2007.08.2 on my laptop.  Everything is satisfying except that pacman doesn't cooperate very well.  It gives me Resolving <any address>... 1.0.0.0 and idles every time I try to sync something.  The problem temporarily goes away after I ping the address, but comes back after a while.  The only other program that is known to have the same problem is hwd -u.  All other internet applications work perfectly.

This problem exists for both: pacman's built-in downloader and wget; manually configured connections and network manager.

I'm using a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless ADSL router and DHCP.

Any input will be very, very appreciated~

Stronger than Einstein, smarter than Hercules~

#2 2008-01-16 09:14:06

zerozerosette

Re: pacman address resolution failure

Hi! The sam thing is happening here. I installed Arch 2007.08.2 yesterday and pacman can't connect to any server (it gives "resolving XXXXXX ... 1.0.0.0"). My wireless card works fine (ipw2200 connected to a router -sorry i don't remember its name and i'm at work right now :-) - with dhcp), as it can ping without problems.

Thank you very much for your help!

#3 2008-01-16 09:28:40

cabinboy

This problem seems not to be related to pacman after all.  I think it's got something to do with the router settings.

The work-around I found is to manually add the nameserver addresses to /etc/resolv.conf.  I also keep a copy of the working resolv.conf cuz it gets overwritten by NetworkManager periodically.  If you use dhcpcd there's an option in the config file to turn off the overwritting.

Cheers~

Stronger than Einstein, smarter than Hercules~

#4 2008-01-16 15:43:54

zerozerosette

I'll try that this evening and I'll let you know if it works.

Thank you!

Board footer