You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-15 18:38:37

ise
Developer
Website

Farewell to kernel26suspend2

After several days of trying to get tuxonice running stable, I give up. I have no effort anymore to get this kernel running. No other developer wants to maintain it. I have also asked on the TU mailinglist, but no answer so far. That means, that kernel26suspend will die shortly and will be deleted from the official repo.

If anyone from the community want to "maintain" it further, feel free to download the PKGBUILD and patches of the kernel26suspend and corresponding modules from CVS and put it to AUR.

My suggestion to everyone who is using kernel26suspend2, look at the package "suspend" in AUR. It does nearly the same as kernel26suspend2, but without the need of an extra kernel.

Sorry for the bad news, but that is the farewell to the officially supported kernel26suspend2/tuxonice package and modules.

Daniel

#2 2007-10-20 14:23:36

patroclo7

Re: Farewell to kernel26suspend2

What is the problem exactly? I am running tuxonice 3.0-rc1 very happily, may be the fastest and stablest release ever here.
The problem with the suspend package is that it does not actually provide the same functionality, and that userland hibernation is probably going to be not supported on the kernel side at one point, since (as from several discussions in LKML) the interface to it causes a lot of problems to drivers.

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#3 2007-10-21 09:17:20

hussam
Website

The problem is that although suspend2 used to be very stable, it was always a 3rd party project. There is always a chance they will miss a patch for specific kernel release or maybe make it late. Users sometimes had to wait weeks after a major kernel release for the corresponding suspend2 patch.

#4 2007-10-21 20:04:12

ise
Developer
Website

I have test several scenarios. No one runs stable. I know it was a release candidat, but after shredding my swap partition I lost my effort. FileWriter didn't work after 2 or 3 resume. Several freezes in doing atomic copy. After resume tuxonice coudln't find swap space, if I choose swap as suspend device. And a lot more.

If it runs stable for you, feel free to add it to AUR.

The package "suspend" in AUR, runs very very smoothly here with the stock kernel. No problems since installation. And it is easier to configure.

#5 2007-10-22 13:18:20

patroclo7

I dare to say that these problems should have been reported at least to the tuxonice mailing list, since it seems that none of us working there has encountered them.

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#6 2007-10-22 13:38:14

ise
Developer
Website

I had a conversation with the developer on the IRC channel. And you see, the problems still exisits. We haven't found a solution. Aftrer the conversation I tried it further without success. The developer knows the problems from my side, also they are nearly the same problems, which are posted to the ML from other users.

After my lost of effort, I asked the other devs and TUs if anyone wants to try it or maintain it. No one answered with yes. Removing from the repo was the consequential step. Better removing it, then a unmaintained kernel in the repo.

#7 2007-10-23 15:45:34

Trac3R
Website

ise wrote:

The package "suspend" in AUR, runs very very smoothly here with the stock kernel. No problems since installation. And it is easier to configure.

I understand why kernel26suspend2 is beeing removed from the main repositories. But I don't think, that it should be replaced by an AUR package. Isn't it possible to move at least "suspend" to the extra repo then? It's the same issue for me that is suspend2 for you, reliability.

Just my 2 cents.

#8 2007-10-24 06:12:24

ise
Developer
Website

Trac3R wrote:

Isn't it possible to move at least "suspend" to the extra repo then? It's the same issue for me that is suspend2 for you, reliability.

It is possible. Personally I have thought about it and another developer has the same idea. At the moment, I use "suspend" daily on my computer and have absolutly no problems so far. All 3 modes (s2disk, s2ram, s2both) runs fine and without an issue.

Maybe I discuss this with the other developer who mentioned also the idea. wink

#9 2007-11-14 06:19:56

syd

Trac3R wrote:

I understand why kernel26suspend2 is beeing removed from the main repositories. But I don't think, that it should be replaced by an AUR package. Isn't it possible to move at least "suspend" to the extra repo then? It's the same issue for me that is suspend2 for you, reliability.

Just my 2 cents.

YES i think it should really be replaced, as i think that arch in recent time hasn't been in the best situation with kernels.
And yes i can see the developers point of view. It must be more frustrating for you then us.

Cheers,
Syd

Board footer