You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-20 16:45:50

speakeasy

What kernel related stuff to install to upgrade a kernel module

I'm trying to help someone out on another list who has a sound problem (hda intel "say no more"), and he's using Archlinux. I think he may benefit from upgrading the alsa driver, but don't like suggesting anything, if I don't know how to do it.

I don't need to upgrade the alsa driver, but for experience did so on one of my Fedora installs.

All I needed to do, as the kernel headers were already installed for the latest Fedora 7 kernel, was to install the kernel-devel package. I'd already downloaded the latest source tarball for the alsa driver, so simply cd'd to where I'd put it, followed by a ./configure, make, and (as root) make install, and lo, and behold the alsa driver module was upgraded for that kernel.

Back to the plot, and Archlinux. I see that I have kernel headers installed. Kernel is version-2.6.22.9-1, and kernel headers are version-2.6.22.1-1.

What else do I need to install to upgrade a kernel module?

Very gratefull for any help as always.

Nigel. aka speakeasy.

#2 2007-10-20 16:55:25

speakeasy

Re: What kernel related stuff to install to upgrade a kernel module

Replying to my own post, and having a quick look in Jacman at libsamplerate, as an example, I see that no development packages are listed.

do I need to add a repo for the development packages?

Nigel. aka speakeasy.

#3 2007-10-22 19:38:16

speakeasy

Re: What kernel related stuff to install to upgrade a kernel module

Well replying yet again to my query, I looked in /usr/include, and see that the headers for libsamplerate are there.

I've got so used to using other distros with separate development packages, that just didn't think of looking in /usr/include, just in case.

sorry for the noise.

Nigel. aka speakeasy.

Board footer