You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-22 14:28:58

schimpfj

[Resolved] Finding Libs in Repositories

Hello All,

I am trying hard, but starting to get frustrated about ArchLinux... Maybe someone can help me before I give up and try SuSE 10.3:

I am having two issues, i.e. two threads:

Thread 1)
I installed ArchLinux a while back but rarely used it. So it is time to update the system but I am getting below error - of course, I have done "pacman -Sy" first.

(Sorry, forgot to change locale. Rough and brief translation: "Error: Cannot resolve "fltk" dependecies ("gcc-libs" not in packet list). fltk requires gcc-libs.")

[root@archlinux ~]# pacman -Su
:: Starte komplette Systemaktualisierung...
Warnung: sudo: Erzwungene Aktualisierung auf Version 1.6.9p5-1
Loese Abhaengigkeiten auf...
Fehler: Kann Abhaengigkeiten fuer "fltk" nicht aufloesen ("gcc-libs" ist nicht in Paketliste enthalten)
Fehler: Konnte Vorgang nicht vorbereiten (Kann Abhaengigkeiten nicht erfuellen)
:: fltk Benoetigt gcc-libs

Searching for gcc-libs via "pacman -Ss gcc-libs" does not return a proper result.

Similar, I tried to install Firefox as downloaded from Mozilla. I unpacked Firefox into ~/bin/firefox. When trying to start the browser I am getting an error for a missing lib. Again searching for the lib did not return any result. Where/how would I get the lib for ArchLinux? So this question relates to my first issue.

[guest@archlinux firefox]$ ./firefox
./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

To rephrase my question: How can I find missing libs in ArchLinux (in particular the ones listed above)? I tried pacman -Ss but no joy.

Thanks in advance for any response!
Jochen

Last edited by schimpfj (2007-10-23 07:06:16)

#2 2007-10-22 14:49:42

Ramses de Norre

Re: [Resolved] Finding Libs in Repositories

There is something wrong with your repos:

$ pacman -Ss gcc-libs
core/gcc-libs 4.2.2-1 (base)
    Runtime libraries shipped by GCC for C and C++ languages

Did you read the frontpage news about the change from current to core? You might need to change some file in /etc/pacman.d/ .

#3 2007-10-22 15:18:47

schimpfj

I read about the change of the repos, but was not aware I will have to apply a change. I was rather expecting pacman will do this for me when updating pacman - which I did initially but there was nothing to update.

I will do another reading to find out what to change and will give it another go.

Thanks vm for your feedback!

Regards,
Jochen

#4 2007-10-22 15:23:57

Ramses de Norre

Pacman will add a /etc/pacman.d/core file, but it wont automatically update /etc/pacman.conf when you changed that manually (which is likely). So you'll need to change the entry for current to this:

[core]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/core

#5 2007-10-23 07:05:54

schimpfj

Thanks vm. The system update has now worked. I have not tried Firefox/missing lib or Ff yet as I still having trouble with my Internet in KDE (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=38911). Once I got that working I will try Ff again.

Board footer