You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-24 05:08:08

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Official install guide in wiki has been corrupted(?)

Looks like the entire article has been spaced over by 1, making it appear entirely coded.
Quite awkward and odd. Anyone know why?

#2 2007-10-24 05:54:07

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Official install guide in wiki has been corrupted(?)

It looks like the wiki-pages has undergone a big overhaul to update it to the current version.  I guess whoever did that was just copy and pasting from their editor and used spacing as formatting there.  I will fix this if no-one else does by the time I get home from work.

#3 2007-10-24 11:09:32

dolby

i edited it some days ago copying it from the document in archlinux.org. it was outdated
do u think it doesnt look good?
i think it looks better that way

ps. i didnt use an editor. and i didnt just copy paste it but also created the contents links and stuff. feel free to update it if u find it ugly or anything
i thought it would be best having an updated version of the guide even if it looks like this. (which is imo nice)

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#4 2007-10-24 11:45:56

Allan
Pacman
Website

It is just that it is all in boxes that are supposed to be used for showing code / highlighting things (haven't had a good look....).  Anyway, I can't get to this today so someone else feel free to clean it up.

#5 2007-10-24 15:31:15

tomk
Forum Fellow

dolby, thanks for getting the text up to date, it's appreciated. I understand that you like the way this looks, but that's a subjective thing. If every contributor did that, it would get a bit messy.

The wiki is easier to use if all pages adhere to the same format, and we have layout guidelines for that reason. The details are in the ArchWiki Tutorial page.

#6 2007-10-24 16:12:24

dolby

tomk wrote:

dolby, thanks for getting the text up to date, it's appreciated. I understand that you like the way this looks, but that's a subjective thing. If every contributor did that, it would get a bit messy.

The wiki is easier to use if all pages adhere to the same format, and we have layout guidelines for that reason. The details are in the ArchWiki Tutorial page.

thing is i didnt make it to look that way in purpose, it just was when i copied it. i just didnt bother changing it tongue
anyway as i said beforer feel free to edit it

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#7 2007-10-24 18:09:59

Mikko777

dolby wrote:

thing is i didnt make it to look that way in purpose, it just was when i copied it. i just didnt bother changing it tongue
anyway as i said beforer feel free to edit it

OMG! you killed installation guide! You *******! big_smile

#8 2007-10-24 20:28:02

thayer
Fellow
Website

Oof... that's one messed up article.  I just took a hack at cleaning it up, but it's really a LOT of work.  My suggestion would be to revert back to the last properly formatted version we have, but since it's an "official" installation guide, I'm not making that call...

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-10-24 20:28:12)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#9 2007-10-24 21:09:56

dolby

i know. i actually tried to edit it but couldnt spare the time required. so when it came down to deciding, an updated page vs. the look of the content i preffered the first.
iirc this guide hadnt been updated since 0.7.1 or maybe 0.7.2 which was the last guide before the current one, but anyway this indicates that it didnt get much attention and there already is the link on archlinux.org so the wiki could even not have a page like this..
it could be revertewd back to the outdated guide but still it will require a lot of work to edit. but would probably be less than the one it needs now

Last edited by dolby (2007-10-24 21:10:14)

#10 2007-10-25 00:49:28

Allan
Pacman
Website

Just to be clear, we do appreciate you updating the page.  Its just the format needs to be consistent across the wiki. 

I have made the major fixes...  Still some sections are screwed (download mirrors).  However, I think there is a fair portion of this that can be deleted and pointed to the correct wiki page (download mirrors, using pacman, ABS, etc).

I have to go to work now but will continue this tonight... hopefully!

#11 2007-10-25 10:19:06

Allan
Pacman
Website

Update:  I have formated the whole thing.  There is still probably some areas this can be improved.  I suggest someone adds a "where to read now" section and removes the stuff about pacman and makepkg.  I've got Super Paper Mario to play... smile

#12 2007-10-25 11:03:07

dolby

Allan wrote:

Update:  I have formated the whole thing.  There is still probably some areas this can be improved.  I suggest someone adds a "where to read now" section and removes the stuff about pacman and makepkg.  I've got Super Paper Mario to play... smile

its the official install guide. leave the content as is wink

#13 2007-10-25 11:13:47

Allan
Pacman
Website

dolby wrote:

its the official install guide. leave the content as is wink

Yes, but its from an era gone by, when install guides were in text file format and that was the extent of the documentation...  Now it is wiki-ified (?) there shouldn't be redundant sections covered in more detail elsewhere.

#14 2007-10-25 11:26:25

dolby

maybe , lets leave it up to someone more involved like a wiki admin or dev to decide
btw thanks for editing the page smile

#15 2007-10-25 13:36:48

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I guess that's my cue.

The official version will always be available separately -- I suggest making the wiki version better than the official one!

Having maintained the official guide for a spell, I can assure you that its not high on the developer priority list and the only thing really "official" about it is that it can't be corrupted by an evil wiki user (you know... something like "now that you have your base system installed type 'rm -rf /' as root to clean up any left-over packages" ALERT: If you don't know already, this command will wipe out your filesystem).

Indeed, I can imagine a scenario where the official version of the guide is  simply a copy of the latest version of the wiki guide that has been verified and perhaps improved by the an Arch developer.

However, I suggest NOT removing content from the guide and linking it externally. The specific purpose of this guide is to have something printed out or available on your hard drive partition if your network goes out during installation -- links are useless. It should have "everything you need" to get the base install working.

Dusty

#16 2007-10-25 14:19:20

Allan
Pacman
Website

Dusty wrote:

I guess that's my cue.
However, I suggest NOT removing content from the guide and linking it externally. The specific purpose of this guide is to have something printed out or available on your hard drive partition if your network goes out during installation -- links are useless. It should have "everything you need" to get the base install working.

I was mainly talking about removing the ABS section.  That shouldn't be needed to get base installed...  The pacman section is probably a little to detail but I suppose should stay.

Board footer