You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-24 15:48:43

sjb933

Ubuntu 7.10 -- Gutsy Gibbon

Well... I have been using it for a few days now, and for the first time with any Ubuntu version, I am wowed.  Everything worked perfectly hardware wise, including compiz-fusion right out of the box.  I now intend to keep it install parallel to my Arch install.  It feels pretty snappy too, and everything has been fairly simple.  Now... arch is fun to get down and dirty with, but as simplicity goes, for the first time I can honestly see Ubuntu being a viable replacement for Windows/OSX.

You guys should all give it a test drive smile

-Shane

#2 2007-10-24 16:12:00

F

Re: Ubuntu 7.10 -- Gutsy Gibbon

How about no.

#3 2007-10-24 16:20:32

foxbunny
Website

The big problem with Ubuntu is that 1. on the long run, the upgrade process is utterly broken (at least it was in 7.04, and for my particular box), and 2. it tends to get slower as you keep on using it, just like good ol' Windows. So yeah, I'd say it's a perfect candidate for Windows replacement. big_smile But, seriously, it does deliver on WOW.

#4 2007-10-24 16:25:16

pressh
Developer/TU

This isn't digg or..... ?

I mean, really, there is no point in posting fanboy stories here IMHO

Last edited by pressh (2007-10-24 16:25:31)

#5 2007-10-24 19:28:15

jo3

pressh wrote:

is this not the general "Linux Discussion" forum?

but as far as ubuntu 7.10 goes.. I'm happy w/ Arch.  Thx tho!

Last edited by jo3 (2007-10-24 19:40:13)

#6 2007-10-24 19:53:46

sjb933

pressh wrote:

roll  This is hardly a fanboy post.  And as stated above, this is a GENERAL linux forum... So I have posted in the correct place.  If you look around on the forums, I am and Arch user and I have required Arch assistance in the past.  Furthermore, I stated that I will use Arch still. 

All that being said, I still like to test drive new distros to see what else is out there.  If you do not, then how can you justify your love for Arch?  I'm am not selling Ubuntu or trying to get people to switch.  I'm just saying that it's the first Ubuntu that I've been impressed with because normally I think its FAR too overrated. 

So yea.. re-read my post maybe and keep your flames to yourself.  Clearly Arch and Ubuntu have different target audiences. 

Shane

#7 2007-10-24 19:59:41

sjb933

foxbunny wrote:

The big problem with Ubuntu is that 1. on the long run, the upgrade process is utterly broken (at least it was in 7.04, and for my particular box), and 2. it tends to get slower as you keep on using it, just like good ol' Windows. So yeah, I'd say it's a perfect candidate for Windows replacement. big_smile But, seriously, it does deliver on WOW.

I can't say I've used any Ubuntu long-term enough to speak from experience on number 2.  But yes, I absolutely agree that number 1 is a problem.    There are always wikis on how to upgrade and what not... and it's ALWAYS a hell of a lot more complicated than "pacman -Syu"

Shane

#8 2007-10-24 20:11:19

kishd

Used ubuntu for a while once and after the initial wow this just works! familiarity began to breed contempt. I installed kde and then tried to get back to the original gnome. Not possible without a re-install. Waiting for the next upgrade got tiresome. With arch run pacman -S gnome and if you get tired pacman -Rcs gnome and install kde fluxbox or any wm and remove as easily. Never had to re-install arch to fix a problem.

Last edited by kishd (2007-10-24 20:12:05)

---for there is nothing either good or bad, but only thinking makes it so....
Hamlet, W Shakespeare

#9 2007-10-24 20:22:17

pressh
Developer/TU

krazyshane wrote:

If you look around on the forums, I am and Arch user and I have required Arch assistance in the past.  Furthermore, I stated that I will use Arch still.

I have never said you didn't

krazyshane wrote:

All that being said, I still like to test drive new distros to see what else is out there.  If you do not, then how can you justify your love for Arch?

So you can only justify your love for something if you try something else ? I hope your gf does not read this big_smile

krazyshane wrote:

I'm am not selling Ubuntu or trying to get people to switch.

krazyshane wrote:

I have been using it for a few days now, and for the first time with any Ubuntu version, I am wowed.  Everything worked perfectly hardware wise, including compiz-fusion right out of the box.
You guys should all give it a test drive

krazyshane wrote:

Clearly Arch and Ubuntu have different target audiences.

That's my point

krazyshane wrote:

So yea.. re-read my post maybe and keep your flames to yourself.

Wow man, really,I didn't mean to upset you

#10 2007-10-24 20:34:52

sjb933

pressh wrote:
krazyshane wrote:

If you look around on the forums, I am and Arch user and I have required Arch assistance in the past.  Furthermore, I stated that I will use Arch still.

I have never said you didn't

krazyshane wrote:

All that being said, I still like to test drive new distros to see what else is out there.  If you do not, then how can you justify your love for Arch?

So you can only justify your love for something if you try something else ? I hope your gf does not read this big_smile

krazyshane wrote:

I'm am not selling Ubuntu or trying to get people to switch.

krazyshane wrote:

I have been using it for a few days now, and for the first time with any Ubuntu version, I am wowed.  Everything worked perfectly hardware wise, including compiz-fusion right out of the box.
You guys should all give it a test drive

krazyshane wrote:

Clearly Arch and Ubuntu have different target audiences.

That's my point

krazyshane wrote:

So yea.. re-read my post maybe and keep your flames to yourself.

Wow man, really,I didn't mean to upset you

I did not take anything personally, but I have a problem with the linux community segregating itself by throwing around words like 'fanboy' etc.  No matter what distro you're running at least you're using linux.  I simply saw a vast improvement with the last version of "big brown" that's all. 

By the way, have any of you played with aptitude?  In my experience, it's far superior to apt-get/apt-*.  Seems to handle dependency removal well, which I appreciate (one of the things I LOVE about pacman).

Shane

#11 2007-10-24 20:51:52

oli
Website

>No matter what distro you're running at least you're using linux.

At least you're using the same kernel big_smile

>By the way, have any of you played with aptitude?  In my experience, it's far superior to apt-get/apt-*

I started back in the middle of the 90s with Linux, Slack, then Debian. Of course aptitude has some nice advantages, but if you do know apt-get *really*, then you can do whatever you want without any problems. But today it's in my opinion inferior to pacman. Pacman is a clean package management, KISS so far. And Gutsy or whatever the name is, is maybe a nice replacement for Vista, with all of its advantages *and* disadvantages, but it's lightyears away from Mac OS X. I really don't like such bloatware on the desktop, but I'm able to differ between quality and hype.

Use UNIX or die.

#12 2007-10-24 21:08:38

thorstenhirsch

Ubuntu is running on my parent's computer, though they don't really use it. I upgraded from 7.04 to 7.10 and was rather disappointed because of several problems resulting from the upgrade. I guess you're driving better with a fresh installation. So what shall I say? The rolling release cycle of archlinux kicks ubuntu's ass! smile

#13 2007-10-24 21:09:18

yomtendok

foxbunny wrote:

I tried the Ubuntu upgrade process once, and it failed miserably.  So of course I ended up downloading the new .iso, burning it, and doing a fresh install.

As far as slowdown, though, I'm going to have to disagree.  I used the same install of Dapper for over a year and didn't notice any slowdown at all, even after my install became messy.

kishd wrote:

Used ubuntu for a while once and after the initial wow this just works! familiarity began to breed contempt. I installed kde and then tried to get back to the original gnome. Not possible without a re-install. Waiting for the next upgrade got tiresome. With arch run pacman -S gnome and if you get tired pacman -Rcs gnome and install kde fluxbox or any wm and remove as easily. Never had to re-install arch to fix a problem.

I don't know which version of Ubuntu you were using, but I never had a problem with this.  Using Breezy I toyed around with Blackbox and Fluxbox quite a bit and had no problem uninstalling them.  Using Dapper I tried out KDE for a while as well as some *boxes; again, no problems uninstalling.  And on Feisty, which I still have installed on my our family computer, I've noticed that the version of apt it comes with has an "autoremove" feature, which uninstalls software/dependencies that no longer have any use.

#14 2007-10-25 04:38:31

jbromley

I was curious about the latest Ubuntu myself. I installed it and was quite impressed. Everything worked out of the box on my Dell Inspiron 9300 and it was trivially easy to get Compiz Fusion working. Adding codecs for different media types was easy. Of course, you get the massive amount of packages under package management (probably the only distro with more stuff than Arch.) I only used it for a couple of days to see what it was all about, but I could see a Linux user, especially a new Linux user, being very content with the Gutsy.

That said, I won't be using Gutsy. First, I too have been bitten by upgrade problems. At one point in the past I was using Etchy (6.10) and I tried updating to Feisty (7.04.) Somehow my system got hosed and I had to do a clean install of Feisty to recover. Secondly, the GNOME desktop is OK, but I prefer a much lighter environment - Ion3, a bunch of console apps and Opera.

In summary, it's good to see that someone is producing a viable Linux for the masses, but I'll stick to the simpicity and configurability of Arch.

#15 2007-10-25 04:55:52

LinuxViking

I found Ubuntu decent at first, but very limited as to what can be done. And it comes with too many packages. As has been implied I much prefer the command line to a big fancy graphical package manager. But I really respect what distros like Ubuntu are doing and I like their mission statement.

I personally think that Fedora 7 is a better introduction than Ubuntu. It is kind of easy and not easy at the same time. Also things like installing flash in 64 bit under Ubuntu get very sticky because of all their regulations. I keep Ubuntu and Fedora 7 around though, just in case I mess up Arch some day and need access to a desktop within 20 minutes to figure out how to fix arch again haha

#16 2007-10-25 08:38:12

Ankka

I agree with the original poster. This ubuntu gives a nice "wow" feeling when using it.  7.10 really is what ubuntu was supposed to be a year ago, they just had bad luck with the new x.org not being released in time and other stuff.

There are some things that are done better in arch, but if I would buy a new laptop now without an OS, I'd install ubuntu on it first to get something working on it right away.. after that something I'd actually want to use in the long run.

Last edited by Ankka (2007-10-25 08:40:23)

#17 2007-10-25 10:22:59

ruscook
Website

kishd wrote:

That's not true. I used ubuntu for 3yrs and happily had gnome and Xface running side by side on my production box and KDE, gnome on a test unit. There are meta packages that are specifically designed to provide the required functionality of a particular desktop. These meta packages are removed when another desktop is installed but not the whole desktop.

That said, I moved to Arch about 2 months ago and am thoroughly enjoying it :-)

I WILL move my server, but at the moment I don't know how to preserve all my IMAP mail on the server. I use dovecot/postfix/fetchmail to d/l about 12 mail accounts for about 4 users and I don't want to lose this mail when I migrate. As I'm not an expert on linux by any means, it will take me a while to figure this out :-)
Russ

#18 2007-10-25 11:38:39

pelle.k

These threads always scare me. Not because of the threads intent or subject, but rather the childish attitudes it seems to wake up in otherwise balanced people.

To get to the point, i too am running gutsy besides my arch install, and it's really sweet. Granted, it's a technology release rather than a stable one so there's some minor bugs, but that was expected. I mean, you don't include compiz and seriously expect things to run smoothly smile Still, it's perfectly fine for everyday use. The technology is there, but not the polish.
I hope "hardy heron" (8.04) will be a "polished" release though.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#19 2007-10-25 18:59:09

Mikko777

It's nice to try new stuff but what I don't get is why ppl run many distros side by side?

What benefits do you get with running both arch and ubuntu?

#20 2007-10-25 20:05:09

Ankka

Mikko777 wrote:

It's nice to try new stuff but what I don't get is why ppl run many distros side by side?

I personally like to have one OS I use for everything, but I have another partition where I install an interesting-looking distro every now and then to see how it works.. If it's better than the original distro I'll overwrite the original and keep the new one on the next round.. If it isn't better, I'll keep the old one.

The only problem is that a 40GB HDD doesn't have endlessly space on it.. sad

#21 2007-10-25 22:13:06

LinuxViking

Mikko777 wrote:

I never understood this either...except the windows/linux partition for games or work or whatever...

#22 2007-10-26 03:44:24

pelle.k

Well, these aren't my first, and only, distros on this HD. You can't honestly say you've never heard of a distroholic, can you?!
It's a little bit back and forth between arch/ubuntu for me, and that depends of the state of the two at any given moment (sometimes arch is in a period upgrading stuff that mess with your computer, sometimes ubuntu bore you). I try to set it up so that my work flow can continue whatever i choose to boot, and also i try to have kde in one installation, and gnome in the other. It's a good way to back up and restore when things brake btw.

But as they say, whatever works for you...

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#23 2007-10-26 05:26:21

jbromley

LinuxViking wrote:
Mikko777 wrote:

I never understood this either...except the windows/linux partition for games or work or whatever...

I don't really run two distros side by side, but I do have an extra partition where I try out different distros. For me, it's mostly about seeing what "state of the art" looks like for Linux. I like to see how are things like wireless setup, power management, Compiz, etc. work out of the box. Maybe the latest will even be good enough that I'll switch, though this has only happened after my previous distro caused me notable problems, like the time an Ubuntu upgrade hosed my system and I moved to openSUSE. It's also interesting to see if there are any new software or ideas I can port to my main (Arch) system.

There have also been a couple of times where I was looking for something in specific and wanted to see which distro gave it to me most easily. For example, after running openSUSE for a while, I got tired of its sluggishness. This set off a search for a lighter, faster setup. I settled on Arch after trying a number of other distros (Vector, Yoper, etc.) Incidentally, Arch had been on my second partition for some time. I just needed a little motivation to make the switch.

Last edited by jbromley (2007-10-26 05:27:04)

#24 2007-10-26 06:17:20

clarence

Tried it for 2 weeks (rc version prior to final release) Yeah it's good, very good. I still prefer Arch.

fck art, lets dance.

#25 2007-10-26 06:42:48

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

jo3 wrote:
pressh wrote:

is this not the general "Linux Discussion" forum?

[...]

It is. However, the topic starter in no way motivates his opening post, and doesn't seem to want to spark any (argumented) discussion.

This is no free haven for trash topics smile. Just saying 'I like Ubuntu, try it' sounds more like a simple flame to me than anything else. If this had been Linuxforums, no biggy, but here...

Last edited by B (2007-10-26 06:43:11)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer