You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-24 21:55:53

thayer
Fellow
Website

gnome-keyring-daemon not working since 2.20 upgrade

I've been meaning to post this for a couple weeks now, but after doing a fresh installation recently, I noticed that the gnome-keyring-daemon doesn't appear to be working.  I have it set to run in my openbox autostart.sh as such:

nitrogen --restore &
xscreensaver -no-splash &
numlockx &
xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap &
xbindkeys &
glipper-old &
gnome-power-manager &
gnome-keyring-daemon &
nm-applet --sm-disable &
conky &
sleep 2
pypanel &

When I try to connect to a server that normally prompts for the keyring, it simply prompts for the raw password to the server.  If I run seahorse, it spits a bunch of errors when I try to view the passwords tab:

can't lock memory: Cannot allocate memoryWARNING: not using secure memory for passwords

** (seahorse:7576): WARNING **: DNS-SD initialization failed: Daemon not running

** (seahorse:7576): WARNING **: couldn't communicate with gnome keyring daemon via dbus: The name org.gnome.keyring was not provided by any .service files

** (seahorse:7576): WARNING **: couldn't get default gnome-keyring keyring: (code 2)

** (seahorse:7576): WARNING **: couldn't communicate with gnome keyring daemon via dbus: The name org.gnome.keyring was not provided by any .service files

** (seahorse:7576): WARNING **: couldn't get default gnome-keyring keyring: (code 2)

This happens even if I run the gnome-keyring-daemon manually.  Anybody else witnessing similar behaviour?

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-10-24 22:11:57)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#2 2007-10-27 22:08:48

lupylucke

Re: gnome-keyring-daemon not working since 2.20 upgrade

Hello

I had the same problem.
Since googling around I found nothing (except your post...) I investigated a bit.
That's what I found out: adding a .service file to the directory /usr/share/dbus-1/services/ solves the problem. If I understood things right, it doesn't matter what this file is called, but it sould have the extenson .service. I named it gnome-keyring-daemon.service, and that's what this file has to contain:

[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.gnome.keyring
Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon

I suppose such a file should be included in the gnome-keyring package. I'm going to post a note about this to the maintainer of gnome-keyring.

#3 2007-10-29 18:06:36

thayer
Fellow
Website

Thanks lupy, that did the trick!

FYI, I filed a bug report.

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-10-29 18:16:20)

#4 2007-11-13 05:25:29

thayer
Fellow
Website

It turns out that didn't quite do the trick... for whatever reason, gnome-keyring-daemon doesn't appear to store any passwords.  Instead, I get a prompt for the raw connection password and then a popup from the keyring--this happens every time I try to connect to the same remote server.  I found a solution however, by running the daemon this way in my startup script:

eval `gnome-keyring-daemon`
export GNOME_KEYRING_PID
export GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET

Last edited by thayer (2007-11-13 06:34:18)

Board footer