You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-25 19:42:54

hybrid

[fluxbox]turning decorations off for certain instances of a program

Hi, I would like to have some instances of aterm placed on my desktop without any decorations. I would probably fire those up through ~/.xinitrc. But after that I want every new aterm instance to have the decor of fluxbox. And to make things even more difficult: I have set aterm to be grouped together by fluxbox but I want the aterm-instances with decor not to be grouped together with those instances without the decor.
Anyone still with me? :>

I am thinking the easiest way would be to run a little script in ~/.xinitrc that turn the decors off, fires up some aterm instances using the "-name" option (so that those aterms won't be grouped together with the aterms started later on) and to have the script turn the decor back on then.
First of all: does anyone have a better, more elegant idea?
And then I guess I could use some help with the script, cuz I don't really know how to have a bash-script check a text file for a certain pattern (across three lines), to change the existing pattern or write it if it doesn't exist and then to either change the pattern again or deleting these three lines out of a textfile (not touching the other lines in the same textfile).

Hope someone can help me. :>
A huge thx in advance

#2 2007-10-26 01:17:37

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: [fluxbox]turning decorations off for certain instances of a program

Read up on the ~/.apps file.

I mentioned it in my faq, but the formatting was totally destroyed by markdown. http://iphitus.loudas.com/index/projects/old/fluxfaq

The raw faq itself is here, use this instead, save it as .html, and open it in your browser: http://test.iphitus.org/content/Graveyard/Fluxbox%20FAQ

Parts of it are dated... but parts are relevant. I'll tidy it up sometime.

James

Last edited by iphitus (2007-10-26 01:18:44)

#3 2007-10-26 02:50:18

hybrid

Re: [fluxbox]turning decorations off for certain instances of a program

Lol, I am a retard. :>
Alright, I knew about the apps file and the deco option I guess my actual question was to ask for help for that script (I wanted that script to edit ~/.fluxbox/apps for me sothat aterm would be generally decorless, then fire up some aterms and then change the apps-file back to what it was before).
But what was I thinking, I totally don't need such a script. Here's how I do that now: I start those aterm instances I want to be displayed without decor with aterm's "-name superdupername"-option and put "superdupername" (well actually I call it 'aterm-root' smile) into the apps file to have that generally without decor.
It's as easy as that. I dunno why I wanted to make it so complicated with a script in the beginning. big_smile
Anyhow, thanks for everyone who read it and iphitus for the nice response!

Board footer