You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-28 13:09:55

kamagurka
Website

All modules are gone after upgrade

After doing a pacman -Syu I wanted to modprobe a module (smbfs, if you must know), but the whole directory is gone. Little wonder, of course, since pacman ruthlessly destroyed the directory with the modules from the kernel that is still running.
First of all, I consider this a bug, since I am not prepared to reboot after every system upgrade that happens to include a small kernel update;
Secondly, if someone could suggest a workaround for loading the modules of a kernel that pacman sees as obsolete, I'd be very thankful.

I always roll 20s on my disbelieve checks.
You better believe it.

#2 2007-10-28 14:30:14

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: All modules are gone after upgrade

You may consider this a bug, I'd rather call it lack of logical thinking.

Upgrading a package means replacing its files (in the case of 2.6.x upgrades even relocating the modules on Arch).

If you find the kernel upgrades a pain, just blacklist them... or tell pacman not to upgrade when you run it smile.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2007-10-28 17:08:52

kamagurka
Website

Quite frankly I fail to see the logical imperative that equates "upgrading" with "replacing files". For example, in Gentoo it didn't need to mean the same thing. Fact of the matter is, I don't want to blacklist the kernel upgrades, I just don't want them to break my current kernel. Doesn't that make sense to you?

I always roll 20s on my disbelieve checks.
You better believe it.

#4 2007-10-28 17:23:09

stonecrest

So you'd rather leave behind every single file from old installs?

Why aren't you just loading smbfs on boot in the rc.conf? Memory usage to do so is minimal, and then you would have had it loaded before the module was removed.

I am a gated community.

#5 2007-10-28 19:15:26

byte

Even Debian works the same way as Arch in this regard, so I don't think there is a nifty workaround. As this isn't your first rant in which you've displayed your dislike of reboots, why not simply build your own kernel and keep track of updates yourself? IgnorePkg=kernel26 and pacman -Syu won't ever ruthlessly mess with your precious uptime.

Board footer