You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-30 23:32:52

haukew
Website

Warcraft3-Problem (Doesn't connect to Bnet)

Hi!
I am having a strange problem with Warcraft3:
When starting with wine it starts normally but then hangs on connecting to the Battle.net (it says "initiating connection to Battle.net" but nothing happens, no error-message whatsoever.
When starting with cedega (6.0 and 6.02), it starts perfectly normal but crashes after some 10 Minutes of playing. The System itself is not affected at all, i can kill Warcraft3 and work on normally. Other Games (Like Settlers2: Next Generation) work flawlessly for hours.

Does anybody have an idea what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance, Hauke

Last edited by haukew (2007-10-31 02:14:48)

#2 2007-10-31 00:13:48

Yaroze

Re: Warcraft3-Problem (Doesn't connect to Bnet)

The "initiating connection to Battle.net" problem, did you select a battle.net gateway?

#3 2007-10-31 01:20:25

Dheart

First:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=38802

WarCraft III and Frozen Throne Battle.net support is broken in version 0.9.46+
You have to use 0.9.45 or older in order to play on battle.net or you can either apply a patch proposed by the community, which, however doesn't entirely solve the problem (You have issues joining games, etc)
I have provided a PKGBUILD and wine.install in order you to build your own wine and use it to play Frozen Throne on battle.net

Second: Cedega sux I have been getting different issues with battle.net ever since cedega upgraded from v5.x.y to v6.x.y (And arround that time wine got SecureRom support so it was goodbye cedega smile)

Third: Acc?
Mine is TheNightOne

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#4 2007-10-31 03:02:04

haukew
Website

Thanks, that was it - WC3 is updating at the moment smile
I had my cedega-subscription untit some time ago (they just had 6.02 out) - it has ended now and i am not going to pay again out of the simple reasons that the "cedega-advantage" that once was there now is almost zero. It's really the opposite, i have 2 Games (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Settlers2) running in wine - cedega doesn't even manage the install.

My Bnet-Account is Timorgenius, i play in Northrend//Europe (only "Funmaps" (TDs, AOS))  - I'll be adding you when I play again smile

#5 2007-10-31 23:50:38

haukew
Website

Yes, Warcraft3 works, but My favourite game (yeah, call me a puss y wink ) Settlers2: The Next Generation now crashes after about 10 Minutes of Playing with these errors:

wine S2DNG.exee S2DNG.exe
ALSA lib conf.c:3949:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default:0
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x133f394,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_GetAvailableTextureMem (0x797c3a8) : stub, simulating 256MB for now, returning 256MB left
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_ValidateDevice (0x7bd2f30) : stub
(this above fixme is printed 331 times)
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_EvictManagedResources (0x7bd2f30) : stub
fixme:d3d:handleStreams Tangent and binormal bump mapping is only valid with vertex shaders
(this above fixme is printed several thousend times, almost the entire terminal-log is full of it, i was too lazy to c/p it all)
fixme:d3d_surface:surface_download_data >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY (0x505) from glGetTexImage() @ surface.c / 81
fixme:d3d:handleStreams Tangent and binormal bump mapping is only valid with vertex shaders
fixme:winmm:MMDRV_Exit Closing while ll-driver open

Then Settlers crashes without anything more.
It seems the final result for the game to crash is the GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY error. Do you have an

Last edited by haukew (2007-10-31 23:52:19)

#6 2007-11-01 21:38:38

Dheart

The GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY error makes me think it is direct 3D issue, and more specificly - low memory.
http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys
run wine regedit, then go to  HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> software -> wine -> direct 3d and add the fallowing keys:
OffscreenRenderingMode with value "fbo"
UseGLSL "enabled"
and finaly (and I think that this is the most important part)
VideoMemorySize  your video ram (wine can't detect it so it sets it to 64 mb. In order to use 100% of your Video Card set it yourself. For example if you have 128 mb Video ram this key should look like this:
VideoMemorySize  "128")

Note: Everything without the quotas
Note 2: You can experiment with various settings as shown in the wine wiki.

#7 2007-11-02 16:24:51

haukew
Website

Hi!
I made all the changes you proposed, it still crashes...

#8 2007-11-02 20:35:10

Dheart

I'm sorry to hear that... Try doing as shown in the how to of the wine appdb:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p … n&iId=5833

#9 2007-11-03 20:45:53

haukew
Website

Hi!
Thanks for your reply :-)
But...I also have a problem with Warcraft3 itself, which also isn't described in the appdb. It just freezes in the middle of the game for about 7-8 seconds and after it froze 2-3 times it crashes. Do you have an idea what could be the problem now? Man, this is frustrating sad Why can't it just work?

Last edited by haukew (2007-11-03 21:02:27)

#10 2007-11-04 12:19:41

Dheart

haukew wrote:

Hi!
Thanks for your reply :-)
But...I also have a problem with Warcraft3 itself, which also isn't described in the appdb. It just freezes in the middle of the game for about 7-8 seconds and after it froze 2-3 times it crashes. Do you have an idea what could be the problem now? Man, this is frustrating sad Why can't it just work?

Well... I have the same problem that ocures both on my windows and linux installations... When I have a high speed download running in the backgraund my 5400 rpm hdd simply can't take all the I/O action.
However once that problem occured on linux when I didn't have high speed download running in the backgraund, and I have no idea what causes it. You can try to google the problem, or submit it as bug in wine appdb... However I'm out of suggestions...

Also on what kind of maps does this problem occure? Some of them are much "havier" than others (for exampe Footman Frenzy freezes my pc for few seconds when I click on the map even on Windows)
This may well be a problem with unoptimized map that preloads all the trigers before the start (Like Footman Frenzy does)

And about settlers? Did you fix the problem?
Also if anything else doesn't work for Frozen Throne you can try downgrading cedega to version 5.xy which has no issues with Frozen Throne.

#11 2007-11-04 17:18:49

haukew
Website

What partly fixed my Settlers-Problem partly was trying crossover-office from codeweavers. Settlers2 now "only" crashes predictybly (for example when i upgrade  a Guard Tower to a castle).
Yes, the maps that crashed are heavily-triggered maps (ToB, Age of Myths). I'll be trying it with cxoffice tonight.

Thanks again for your answers smile

Last edited by haukew (2007-11-04 17:20:32)

Board footer