You are not logged in.

#26 2007-11-02 14:11:40

foxbunny
Website

Re: Arch Linux Logo Contest: Discussion of logo concepts

@labelsix:

Great stuff! Damn, I really like the Arch Key thingie. Also, the triangle is not bad, but the key is just smashing! I also like green/black combo. It's original and very pleasant.

@sigi

Hm... a bit shaky shape...

#27 2007-11-02 14:15:24

freigeist

foxbunny wrote:

@labelsix:

Great stuff! Damn, I really like the Arch Key thingie. Also, the triangle is not bad, but the key is just smashing! I also like green/black combo. It's original and very pleasant.

I totally agree, fresh idea, fresh colors...well made! I am not sure which idea I like most, the circle with the arrow, the two triangles or the key...all have much potential!

Elfenbeinturm.cc
a metaphysical space of solitude and sanctity: http://www.elfenbeinturm.cc

#28 2007-11-02 14:33:47

foxbunny
Website

@pseb

I doesn't remind me of an arch, but it reminds me of a band aid... tongue

#29 2007-11-02 14:43:39

labelsix
Website

@Sigi: Try to use a white color too. It's great for contrast.

@Misfit138: I'm thinking about the reflection in the circle too. What do you think?

@foxbunny and freigeist: Thanks so much. I'll continue to try to develop (it's correct?) a logo with other ideas and variations and I'll post here soon.

smile

Regards

#30 2007-11-02 14:48:45

foxbunny
Website

We're looking forward to seeing the new vresions!

#31 2007-11-02 15:02:03

ibendiben

@foxbunny ...moved

Last edited by ibendiben (2007-11-02 18:20:59)

#32 2007-11-02 15:50:05

dunc

Very nice, ozeta. Especially the third one in the top image, and the bottom one in the middle. Worth developing, I think.

I also think I'll have to resubmit my Concept 1. I worked more on 2, and it shows.

0 Ok, 0:1

#33 2007-11-02 16:58:53

foxbunny
Website

@ibendiben

Please post your artwork here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=38550

This thread is for discussions only.

#34 2007-11-02 17:45:50

Sigi

I made a further logo. It a kind of "my second logo revised". I think it was foxbunny who wrote that he didn't like the perspective of the submitted logo, that something was wrong with them. I have tried to improve this in the new logo. On the other hand, I tried to decrease the number of sharp edges for an improved scalability.

Misfit138 wrote:

Green is the goods. wink I think Green and black are the perfect Arch Linux colors.

So do I. (Although this green still reminds me of St. Patrick's day wink )

labelsix wrote:

@Sigi: Try to use a white color too. It's great for contrast.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried to do this in the new logo but it still relies heavily on the background. Might create a simpler logo with a better contrast. I really like most of your posted concepts, great work!

cerise wrote:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9084 … rv4fi3.jpg
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7017 … iteqt9.jpg
I wanted to see some slight differences in the rendering on a DOF background.

Hm, the shape of the logo looks too blured IMO. I prefer the 2D-ish versions over these. And I have to admit that I see the same kind of power supply grill as - I think - freigeist mentioned. Sorry. (This has nothing to do with power, more with a geekish kind of biohazzard sign). This post is really not meant in an offensive way.

foxbunny wrote:

@sigi
Hm... a bit shaky shape...

Indeed. This was only a concept. I would work this out if there would be enough positive feedback. But I like my new logo (and also my old, the second submitted logo - the hook) better than the one this comment was for.

Cheers Sigi

Last edited by Sigi (2007-11-02 17:56:28)

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#35 2007-11-02 18:12:42

foxbunny
Website

The new logo is much better than the old one visually. But it stopped being a logo in my book. It looks like a 3D render of the old logo.

Here's what I'd like to see you try: convert the slider (the longer ribbon) into a simple line. Yeah, just a line, not a 2D shape. And work the other ribbon around that line. I think it could be interesting. Don't worry about scaling for now. Just try it out. I think the shape will work much better if it wasn't a ribbon or a filled object.

Heheh, sigi, can't shake of my initial impression that the logo looks like one Serbian paper company.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-11-02 18:21:09)

#36 2007-11-02 18:23:40

foxbunny
Website

Hey, PJ, your submission (the redesigned current logo) looks really slick. The version on black looks like you could kill someone with it. Very nice! big_smile

I'd go all black in the black version, though. Imagine printing it on a fax machine. That's the purpose of the all-black version... Or make the outlines a bit thicker?

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-11-02 18:25:38)

#37 2007-11-02 19:18:10

PJ

foxbunny wrote:

Hey, PJ, your submission (the redesigned current logo) looks really slick. The version on black looks like you could kill someone with it. Very nice! big_smile

Thanks!.

foxbunny wrote:

I'd go all black in the black version, though. Imagine printing it on a fax machine. That's the purpose of the all-black version... Or make the outlines a bit thicker?

I can change that. Somehow I forgot the purpose of it when I was tweaking it. I had my own printer in mind when I was changing it.

Last edited by PJ (2007-11-02 19:23:58)

#38 2007-11-02 19:27:59

cerise

Sigi wrote:

Hm, the shape of the logo looks too blured IMO. I prefer the 2D-ish versions over these. And I have to admit that I see the same kind of power supply grill as - I think - freigeist mentioned. Sorry. (This has nothing to do with power, more with a geekish kind of biohazzard sign). This post is really not meant in an offensive way.

Well, if you ever see a triangular supply grill, let me know... because as far as I know, they're square with something like a UT logo or a 'hot chick' on them.  I think I've seen spiderman now too, actually...  lol
As for not having to do anything with power... hmmm... if it didn't have anything to do with power, then why are they over a 'power supply' ...?  lol

Geekish?  You mean like the fact that everyone is posting for a linux logo competition?  That kind of geekish?  tongue

Blurry.... that's a depth-of-field with radiosity effect, so it's supposed to be blurry.  I wanted to see some fun effects in 3d.

Last edited by cerise (2007-11-02 19:28:38)

#39 2007-11-02 22:07:41

ozeta

hello big_smile

my second logo, a simplification of the first one big_smile

archlogo02tv0.th.png

Last edited by ozeta (2007-11-02 22:08:01)

#40 2007-11-02 22:18:05

foxbunny
Website

Cerise, imho, the fact that it is a Linux logo doesn't make it geekish... Well, at least I don't feel like a geek posting in an Arch Linux logo competition... But no, I don't see your logo as geekish anyway. It's a bit 'square'[1], though, ironically... smile

[1] As in 5a, and f

Webster wrote:

5 a: exactly adjusted : precisely constructed or aligned b: just, fair <a square deal> <square in all his dealings> c: leaving no balance : settled d: even, tied e: substantial, satisfying <square meal> f: being unsophisticated, conservative, or conventional

@everybody
what's that power supply girl everyone is talking about?

@ozeta
It reads 'al' and it doesn't say 'Arch Linux' for people who've seen it for the first time, at least a couple I've shown. So, I think it's best to use only 'a'. Plus it would probably fit tighter with that circle. Nice and clean, though. The previous one was maybe a bit too busy.

Just saw one more potential problem. The 'al' combo with your font may look like a 'd' in some circumstances.

@sigi
Nice touch, that green dot on 'i'. Just noticed it a while ago. However, the outline is killing it, making it look a bit dark. So either loose the outline, or make the green bit brighter.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-11-02 22:33:42)

#41 2007-11-03 01:56:36

Sigi

foxbunny wrote:

The new logo is much better than the old one visually. But it stopped being a logo in my book. It looks like a 3D render of the old logo.

I take this as a compliment and have to admit that it really doesn't match the criteria of a simple and slick logo. (Thats the kind of review I posted it for, thanks foxbunny)

foxbunny wrote:

Here's what I'd like to see you try: convert the slider (the longer ribbon) into a simple line. Yeah, just a line, not a 2D shape. And work the other ribbon around that line. I think it could be interesting. Don't worry about scaling for now. Just try it out. I think the shape will work much better if it wasn't a ribbon or a filled object.

I'm busy the whole weekend and the following week (party ONE WHOLE WEEK! I love being student...) I might find some time on Sunday evening and try to play with it then, I'll see.

foxbunny wrote:

Heheh, sigi, can't shake of my initial impression that the logo looks like one Serbian paper company.

I don't know any Serbian Company logos so this might be true.

foxbunny wrote:

Nice touch, that green dot on 'i'. Just noticed it a while ago. However, the outline is killing it, making it look a bit dark. So either loose the outline, or make the green bit brighter.

Thanks for the suggestion and nice someone spotted it. I'll play with it later.

@ Everyone: Please feel free to play with any piece of my work (you may even submit it to the contest if you want to - as I'm short on time it could be that I can't submit things on time).

Cheers Sigi

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#42 2007-11-03 09:36:59

ozeta

Cerebral wrote:
ozeta wrote:

i can send more of one logo? because i send the first idea by mail 3 hours ago...i hope it's possible big_smile

You can submit as many as you like.  I received your first. wink

Yesterday in the evening i sent you my second logo-form, did you received it?

(i know, i'm a little bit anxious:P)

#43 2007-11-03 14:01:59

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Here's an idea: turn the Arch in an EKG into the 'A' in 'Arch':
2039296-1067407445.jpg

big_smile

Last edited by Misfit138 (2007-11-03 14:12:01)

#44 2007-11-03 17:18:35

pseb

(edited: sorry, posted to the wrong thread)

Last edited by pseb (2007-11-03 17:27:22)

#45 2007-11-03 22:33:10

foxbunny
Website

@ozeta

I like the one with two arcs that form a circle (last concept you posted in this thread). About the logotype: it's very nice, but in the one that says 'archlinux', the 'a' and 'r' are too far apart. IOW, you have to fix kerning so that 'r' is closer to 'a'.

@Misfit138

Any idea about how its meaning will work with what Arch is?

#46 2007-11-04 00:36:57

freakcode
Website

I think the artwork done by Thayer (here: http://www.cinderwick.ca/archer/) is a great idea for the new logo, while retaining the colors of the old one - so it doesn't looks like its another completly different distro, as the same colors helps retaining the familiar feel to it. And if you consider he already did the complete artwork (logo, CD art, gdm/slim themes, wallpapers)... its simply done, and very professional.

Also, I guess its time to make a pool or something to vote, or the submissions will start divague away of the original logo concept and look out of place. Just my cents.

#47 2007-11-04 01:28:04

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

foxbunny wrote:

@Misfit138

Sure. Without focusing on the shape of an arch, which is not the original meaning nor intent of the distro's name, one could use the EKG image and graph as a segue toward a more abstract yet basic reality. Without a heartbeat, the basic sign of life, all else stops. It is the most basic and fundamental, yet powerful and important aspect of life. The base of Arch is simple, yet powerful, and never deviates from this concept throughout its manifestations and customizations. By taking the squiggly green line and forming it into the word "Arch", a bold image with undeniable visual and emotional recognition results, and continues into infinity on the right side of the image.

#48 2007-11-04 01:41:45

alex_anthony

I've made two initial concept ideas; anyone got any opinions (good or bad)?
thumbnmail.png
thumbnmail.png

#49 2007-11-04 03:33:57

freakcode
Website

Misfit138 wrote:
foxbunny wrote:

@Misfit138

Sure. Without focusing on the shape of an arch, which is not the original meaning nor intent of the distro's name, one could use the EKG image and graph as a segue toward a more abstract yet basic reality. Without a heartbeat, the basic sign of life, all else stops.

Well, the EKG graph remembers me of medical emergency, myocardial infarction, and so on...

#50 2007-11-04 03:46:45

foxbunny
Website

freakcode wrote:

And if you consider he already did the complete artwork (logo, CD art, gdm/slim themes, wallpapers)... its simply done, and very professional.

If that were a requirement (and we all did a fair share of CD, wallpaper, GDM, etc branding ourselves) I'd say TheBodziO's work is much closer to the goal. He has used the same colors as the current Arch Linux logo, and has all the branding stuff. Cerise is also there.

When you say 'the current logo is blue', there are many. many kinds of blue, and the Arch blue is not what Thayer used.

@Misfit138

Where I work, they are producing a magazine called 'Pulse'. The main reason why we NEVER EVER use the EKG graph for our advertising material is that people usually think of hospitals, heart attack, germs and sickness when they see it. So PR-wise, I wouldn't recommend it. freakcode is a good example of what people think when they see it. wink Personally, I never think of those things, but I haven't been to a hospital in over a decade, so I don't count.

@alex_anthony

Visually, I like this one:

http://img115.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arch1th9.png

What it says, though, is: goofy, cartoonish, not serious, fun, enjoyable. Frankly, I don't see Arch that way (except for the fun part), but that's only my opinion.

The other one is... well, a fast-moving p3nis if you ask me. big_smile

@pseb

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 17#p295517

Great looking logo. Could we see those without the background though? Or the backgrounds are part of the logo?

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-11-04 03:51:31)

Board footer