You are not logged in.

#51 2007-11-04 05:03:10

foxbunny
Website

Re: Arch Linux Logo Contest: Discussion of logo concepts

PUBLIC APOLOGY

I hereby apologize to all members who might have been offended by my posts. Please understand that I am a poor communicator at times, and that my intention was not to boss around or create rules for submissions for anyone. I will try to learn to communicate my thoughts and opinions in a more appropriate manner.

#52 2007-11-04 11:47:24

ozeta

foxbunny wrote:

@ozeta

I like the one with two arcs that form a circle (last concept you posted in this thread). About the logotype: it's very nice, but in the one that says 'archlinux', the 'a' and 'r' are too far apart. IOW, you have to fix kerning so that 'r' is closer to 'a'.

i didn't notice it!

i'm fixin' it

thanks wink

Last edited by ozeta (2007-11-04 11:48:40)

#53 2007-11-04 14:28:38

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

foxbunny wrote:

PUBLIC APOLOGY

I hereby apologize to all members who might have been offended by my posts. Please understand that I am a poor communicator at times, and that my intention was not to boss around or create rules for submissions for anyone. I will try to learn to communicate my thoughts and opinions in a more appropriate manner.

I respect you very much for making such an apology. To admit to being abrasive and publicly apologize, as well as declare a dedication to improving your tact, is a very admirable gesture.
I was not personally offended by your posts, but I could see how some might be. I think you are quite enthusiastic about the logo contest and sometimes such enthusiasm can, unfortunately, be interpreted as elitism or condescending. Keep up the good work. smile

#54 2007-11-04 15:13:08

freakcode
Website

I tend to like artwork that remembers the original.

There are 2 kinds of blue on the Thayer artwork, one light blue and another that's teal. The lightblue is pretty much like the original, and this is the one I was stating that retains the same colors (instead of using teal, or green, or orange, whatever). The typo used is also beautiful, while sticking to the original one.

@foxbunny

"TheBodziO's work is much closer to the goal. He has used the same colors as the current Arch Linux logo (...)"
That logo is very nice, but I guess the current color is more purple than blue.

I found iphitus work great too (http://src.iphitus.org/arch-logo/conceptD.svg). It's simple, remembers the original, and looks to scale well.

#55 2007-11-04 15:18:31

ibendiben

Misfit138 wrote:
foxbunny wrote:

PUBLIC APOLOGY

I respect you very much for making such an apology. To admit to being abrasive and publicly apologize, as well as declare a dedication to improving your tact, is a very admirable gesture.
I was not personally offended by your posts, but I could see how some might be. I think you are quite enthusiastic about the logo contest and sometimes such enthusiasm can, unfortunately, be interpreted as elitism or condescending. Keep up the good work. smile

My words!

#56 2007-11-04 15:19:31

foxbunny
Website

@freakcode
Yes, I agree. He had another version which was even nicer, though. And yeah, I like the original artwork as well. But the more submissions I see, the more open I am towards even a radical change.

@Misfit138,ibendiben
Thanks.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-11-04 15:20:09)

#57 2007-11-05 10:56:30

zenlord
Website

#58 2007-11-05 11:44:09

foxbunny
Website

If they'd disqualify my logo for any reason, my PF would be:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 79#p293879

And I bet the overall overhaul of the Arch Linux artwork (website, CDs, posters, shirts, whatever) would be extraordinary in TheBodyiO's hands.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-11-05 11:45:46)

#59 2007-11-05 12:00:17

PJ

#60 2007-11-05 12:35:10

ekerazha

Edited TheBodziO's logo concept...

... well, as I've already said, my favourite logo is the TheBodziO's one, but I'd make 2 little changes:

* a little bit thiner line on the right
* shorter lines on the left, so we can have a complete header by inserting the "archlinux" text there.

Gimp 10 seconds concept:

proto.jpg

Last edited by ekerazha (2007-11-05 12:42:09)

#61 2007-11-05 13:01:01

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Just a note to everyone - I have 8 submissions sitting in my inbox, but I've been too busy to upload them.  I will get to them ASAP, hopefully tonight after work.

I'm sitting on submissions from:
boogie
rfquerin
robber49
icehand
pseb
tsixe
labelsix (2 submissions)

Another note - if you haven't seen your submission go up into the official submission thread yet (and you aren't in the above list), then I didn't get your submission!  If such is the case, please re-send it.

#62 2007-11-05 13:23:24

ekerazha

... and I suggest the "Amerika Sans" font as text font: http://www.dafont.com/font.php?file=ame … asst=alpha

It's very "arch-like"

Last edited by ekerazha (2007-11-05 13:24:11)

#63 2007-11-05 13:23:53

foxbunny
Website

I don't think that inegration of the logo and logotype should be a requirement. If they can be used separately, that is a BIG +. There are situations where the logotype alone is more appropriate than a logotype with the logo. So, I don't agree that the left leg should be shorter. Also, it destabilizes the logo a LOT if you do that.

As for making it thinner, I again don't agree. In fact, I think there should be a thicker one withthout the fine details for a 16px icon (maybe even 22px).

Overall, I think the logo is quite solid as it is, very well ballanced, and I don't see why it would need to be changed in any way apart from small tweaks for the scaled versions.

Nice font, by the way.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-11-05 13:25:00)

#64 2007-11-05 13:34:53

ekerazha

foxbunny wrote:

I don't think that inegration of the logo and logotype should be a requirement. If they can be used separately, that is a BIG +.

You can use them separately, but it would be a "BIG +" wink if they could also be well merged together into a great looking, complete, header.
That is the kind of logo that is nice if it is large, but if you use it "large" you can't put the text on the left/right side or below the logo because:

1) A text as large as the logo would be too much big.
2) A small text wouldn't be balanced.

So a great solution seems to put the text where I put it on that concept.

There are situations where the logotype alone is more appropriate than a logotype with the logo. So, I don't agree that the left leg should be shorter. Also, it destabilizes the logo a LOT if you do that.

You can also use them separately, that's not a problem... and it doesn't destabilize the logo at all because the change is very very little (the red lines on the concept image are just to give the idea)... just cut the longer, thin line of a few pixels so it can "host" the logotype.

As for making it thinner, I again don't agree. In fact, I think there should be a thicker one withthout the fine details for a 16px icon (maybe even 22px).

Imho it should be thinner because it gives a too much "strong" impact and this unbalance the whole design. We are always talking about a few pixel on a large scale, so this shouldn't affect the smallest icons (ex. 16x16) at all.

Nice font, by the way.

wink

Last edited by ekerazha (2007-11-05 14:00:35)

#65 2007-11-05 13:44:27

dolby

i dont know if this has been discussed and sorted out before. the discussion was too long and never got into reading the related posts, only followed tthe official submissions but what if the logo changes completely eg. foxbunny's sun gets to be the winner? wont that look bad in the archlinux pages which all use a cyan layout? will the layout of the pages change too?
sorry if thats already been discussed

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#66 2007-11-05 14:00:12

PJ

dolby wrote:

i dont know if this has been discussed and sorted out before. the discussion was too long and never got into reading the related posts, only followed tthe official submissions but what if the logo changes completely eg. foxbunny's sun gets to be the winner? wont that look bad in the archlinux pages which all use a cyan layout? will the layout of the pages change too?
sorry if thats already been discussed

No, I don't think it has been discussed and yes, I too believe it's a valid concern.

#67 2007-11-05 14:38:01

foxbunny
Website

The websites and everything will be redone (or should be, at least) this way or the other. There are virtually no submissions that use the current color scheme of the Arch websites, except TheBodziOs. So unless his logo wins, the websites (the themes) will have to be redone.

@ekerazha
If you cut a let on a chair a bit shorter, if only by an inch, the chair becomes unstable. It is same with images, especially concrete images of concrete things like an arch. If you cut that short, you *will* destabilize it. Well that's one of the first things you learn when you take drawing classes. (Not saying it is necessarily true, though) wink

As for the logo/logotype integration, I think the original concept by TheBodziO is well ballanced in that area. The logo sits tight above the logotype, and I personally don't see anything wrong with that... But hey, I've talked too much already. I'll let the man speak for himself. big_smile

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-11-05 14:45:18)

#68 2007-11-05 15:01:40

cerise

foxbunny wrote:

The websites and everything will be redone (or should be, at least) this way or the other. There are virtually no submissions that use the current color scheme of the Arch websites, except TheBodziOs. So unless his logo wins, the websites (the themes) will have to be redone.

Actually, my colour scheme is taken directly from the current palette that arch uses.

#69 2007-11-05 15:03:30

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

cerise wrote:

Actually, my colour scheme is taken directly from the current palette that arch uses.

I could see the website in a "pimpin' purple" and "playa' gold" colour-scheme.

#70 2007-11-05 15:22:25

cerise

Cerebral wrote:
cerise wrote:

I could see the website in a "pimpin' purple" and "playa' gold" colour-scheme.

LOL if you want the bling, I can bring it!  (I think I titled the gold as: "gap-toothed gold")

Last edited by cerise (2007-11-05 15:22:57)

#71 2007-11-05 15:43:31

foxbunny
Website

cerise wrote:

Huh? You mean the Tango logo's or the website's palette? Because, the Tango version of the logo seems to be a bit off compared to the website... or vice versa, makes no difference. TheBodziO's colors are much closer the the website itself.

#72 2007-11-05 15:51:08

PJ

foxbunny wrote:
cerise wrote:

Huh? You mean the Tango logo's or the website's palette? Because, the Tango version of the logo seems to be a bit off compared to the website... or vice versa, makes no difference. TheBodziO's colors are much closer the the website itself.

Actually, both the tango version and the website are off compared to the original 2 colored version. One interesting thing is that the svg version also differs from the png preview. Guess it's to hard to chose one color after all. smile

#73 2007-11-05 15:54:11

foxbunny
Website

Hahaha. That's true. However, needless to say, the colors must be consistent all the way.

#74 2007-11-05 15:56:53

cerise

foxbunny wrote:
cerise wrote:

No, I mean the entire design.  The blue is directly taken from the current design.  It's the same hue.
I made an entire palette taken from the current arch logo, using the exact hues present.  I have a full rainbow of colours using colour theory rotations of the arch blue hue.  I then took and colour-matched them to pantone colours for use in printing.  I have coated, uncoated, web press, and spot colours available from the current colour scheme in order to facilitate the ease of multiple promotional campaigns (print, web, etc.)

The tango version is the special arch blue colour with the tango 'aluminum' colour set.

#75 2007-11-05 16:19:41

PJ

cerise wrote:

No, I mean the entire design.  The blue is directly taken from the current design.  It's the same hue.
I made an entire palette taken from the current arch logo, using the exact hues present.  I have a full rainbow of colours using colour theory rotations of the arch blue hue.  I then took and colour-matched them to pantone colours for use in printing.  I have coated, uncoated, web press, and spot colours available from the current colour scheme in order to facilitate the ease of multiple promotional campaigns (print, web, etc.)

The tango version is the special arch blue colour with the tango 'aluminum' colour set.

No offense, but to me it seems like you toke a color near the highlight of the current tango version and used that as a base color for your design. It fits the design very well but IMO it isn't the same color compared to the current tango styled arch logo.

Last edited by PJ (2007-11-05 16:22:06)

Board footer