You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-02 05:13:54

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Statistics for medit

I noticed that the text editor medit or mooedit has every feature I would want in a text editor except word count.  Luckily, medit was made to be extensible so I added that function.  It requires coreutils and that the document you're working with be saved.  Here's how to do it:

Go to Settings > Preferences > Tools to see a list of what functions are (or can be) in the tools menu.  I added a new one and called it Statistics with the option need-doc.  I then clicked disable, the made it a shell command.  (Clicking shell command while it was enabled crashed medit).  The input is the whole document, and the code goes in the spot for text below.

I had 5 variables:

VAR1=`wc -c $DOC`
VAR2=`wc -m $DOC`
VAR3=`wc -w $DOC`
VAR4=`wc -l $DOC`
VAR5=`wc -L $DOC`

for size, chars, words, lines and longest line respectively.  $DOC is just the path of the file you have open.  You could choose the output to be an output pane or new file where you echo $VAR1, echo $VAR2, etc but I wanted a window to come up and list them.

So i downloaded zenity, a tool for scripting GTK+ dialog boxes and did the following:

LENGTH=${#DOC}
VAR1=`wc -c $DOC`
VAR2=`wc -m $DOC`
VAR3=`wc -w $DOC`
VAR4=`wc -l $DOC`
VAR5=`wc -L $DOC`

zenity --list --title="Statistics" --width=200 --height=300 --text="Powered by wc and zenity" --column "Sort" "File size: "${VAR1:0:${#VAR1}-LENGTH} "Characters: "${VAR2:0:${#VAR2}-LENGTH} "Words: "${VAR3:0:${#VAR3}-LENGTH} "Lines: "${VAR4:0:${#VAR4}-LENGTH} "Longest Line: "${VAR5:0:${#VAR5}-LENGTH}

That way a user friendly box appears saying what the number represents and then the number for all 5 of them.  And it doesn't keep saying the file path after each one, because I excluded that many characters from the end of the string (that's what I was doing with $LENGTH).

Basically it's the kind of solution where if I were a new person who just sat down and used it, I would think it were part of the original program smile.  Hope you find it useful!

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

Board footer