You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-05 07:35:43

Negher
Website

EVE Online Linux Support is here.

The announcement can be found in this forum topic.

Cheers for a company that gives Linux support where other try to ignore player base (my humble opinion anyway).

Time to learn how to write PKGBUILDs wink.

Last edited by Negher (2007-11-05 07:36:08)

Che cos'e' il genio ? E' fantasia, intuizione, colpo d'occhio e velocita' di esecuzione.

#2 2007-11-06 04:16:30

Apewall

Re: EVE Online Linux Support is here.

Yeah, I was excited also.  Until I read they only will offer support under Cedega and only if you have an nvidia graphics card.

It's a step forward though, be it a very small one.

#3 2007-11-06 16:23:18

Negher
Website

Why you say "under Cedega" ?

What I know is that EVE client is a tailored version of Cedega but it's free to use as the EVE client is.

I'm with you in saying that this is a small step, but hearing and accomodating the Linux community is a giant step forward IMHO.

My 2 EuroCents wink.

Che cos'e' il genio ? E' fantasia, intuizione, colpo d'occhio e velocita' di esecuzione.

#4 2007-11-06 19:46:07

Apewall

Negher wrote:

Why you say "under Cedega" ?

What I know is that EVE client is a tailored version of Cedega but it's free to use as the EVE client is.

I'm with you in saying that this is a small step, but hearing and accomodating the Linux community is a giant step forward IMHO.

My 2 EuroCents wink.

I am an ATI Archlinux user, so no support will be given to me. yet. tongue

I think we need to get a PKGBUILD for the new linux client up on AUR at least though.

http://www.eve-online.com/download/linux.asp

#5 2007-11-06 23:27:32

Milfadoodle

I like that they provide clients for linux and mac but I'm a bit dissapointed in the performance.

1920x1200 fullscreen:
Vista 64bit gives me an average of ~240 FPS outside station.
Arch 32bit with wine 0.9.48 running the windows client gives me an average of ~120 FPS outside station.
Arch 32bit with the linux client gives me an average of ~90 FPS outside station.

The windows client in wine did have some small graphical bugs but nothing impacting game play as far as I could tell and ~90 FPS is more than fully playable anyway. I'm gonna have to try it with some more ships and explosions going off and see how it impacts performance.

Also the linux client doesn't give me a windowed mode option something the win client in wine does (and it works quite well even with 2 clients running in windowed.)

EDIT: Win client + wine in windowed mode @1680x1050 or whatever that resolution is on the jita gate in perimeter (bunch of ships) drops the fps to ~35 so fleet battle is not viable and I wouldn't pvp with it even in small gangs because frankly it doesn't feel safe.

EDIT2: Running on a Q6600 @3.2GHz, 4GB RAM (should run 64bit arch yeah I know) and a Geforce 8800GTS 640MB.
Will be interesting to see how the new Trinity 2 engine performes and if they had the cedega based clients in mind (at least in the back of their minds) when they wrote it.

Last edited by Milfadoodle (2007-11-06 23:51:13)

#6 2007-11-07 09:23:27

Negher
Website

Here is a first try of a PKGBUILD.

Many many many thanks to Jaroslaw Swierczynski and to Link Dupont for the dependencies (taken from their cedega PKGBUILD).

Let's hope this helps a bit.

# Contributor: Marco Desiderati <negher@gmail.com>

pkgname=eve
pkgver=000062
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="EVE Online Linux Client"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://www.eve-online.com/"
license=('custom')
depends=('python' 'alsa-lib' 'libjpeg' 'pygtk' 'dbus-python')
options=('!strip')
source=(http://ccp.vo.llnwd.net/o2/linux/$pkgname-$pkgver.tgz)
md5sums=('28f806f29b4e40c8acdc11c411f2342d')

build() {
  cd "$startdir/src"
  cp -R usr $startdir/pkg
  rm -rf $startdir/pkg/usr/share/{applnk,appp*,gnome,icons}
  install -m 644 -D $startdir/pkg/usr/lib/eve/LICENSE $startdir/pkg/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname/LICENSE
}

# vim:set ts=2 sw=2 et:

#7 2007-11-07 10:30:16

ReaphSharc
Website

I was actually working on creating a PKGBUILD myself until I found this thread just now. But the one above works much better then my own (I've only started working with Arch this week - used to be a Gentoo user).

Thanks for that one. And get it in AUR ASAP if it isn't already there. wink

Apewall wrote:

So it doesn't work on ATI cards? sad

Do you want a Bubble Icon? Feel free to submit your requests or personal creations to be included in future releases.
I'm 100% Linux!

#8 2007-11-07 10:35:53

Negher
Website

I don't know, I have an NVIDIA card unfortunately.

For sure it is not supported by CCP nor by TransGaming.

Maybe it works but if you have seom problems you'll be on your own.

I'm sorry I can't help you in any way known by me.

#9 2007-11-07 10:50:26

ReaphSharc
Website

Linux:

Minimum Requirements

* 32 or 64 bit Ubuntu 7.04 or higher, Linspire 6 or higher, OpenSuSE 10.2 or higher
    * 64 MB GeForce FX class card or better
    * 512 MB of RAM
    * 6 GB of HD Space
    * 1.1 GHz CPU

Recommended System Requirements

* 32-Bit Ubuntu, OpenSuSE, Linspire with a GeForce 6XXX series card or better
    * 1.5 GHz CPU or better
    * 1 GB of RAM
    * Alsa supported soundcard

Kernel

* Kernel 2.6.20 or newer
    * XFree86 4.0 or higher (4.3 is recommended) or the latest Xorg release

Note to self; when buying a new PC (will do that very soon), get a GeForce FX class card or better to go with it.

Do you want a Bubble Icon? Feel free to submit your requests or personal creations to be included in future releases.
I'm 100% Linux!

#10 2007-11-07 15:44:33

barebones

This is a little OT, I guess, but don't bother with an FX series card. The FX is their bargain bin line and is pretty much worthless. You could get a 6000 series or 7000 series for not much more and the performance gain is very significant.

#11 2007-11-07 17:50:59

ReaphSharc
Website

[offtopic]
I just ordered my new box and it has a GeForce 8800 GTS and 640MB RAM. I'm guessing that will keep me happy for a few years (I don't play bleeding edge games like Crysis wink )
[/offtopic]

Last edited by ReaphSharc (2007-11-07 17:51:24)

I'm 100% Linux!

#12 2007-11-07 21:07:37

Apewall

ReaphSharc wrote:

I was actually working on creating a PKGBUILD myself until I found this thread just now. But the one above works much better then my own (I've only started working with Arch this week - used to be a Gentoo user).

Thanks for that one. And get it in AUR ASAP if it isn't already there. wink

Apewall wrote:

So it doesn't work on ATI cards? sad

Cedega builds have worked with ATI, so I would assume the linux eveclient would, but no support will be offered to ATI users, or Archlinux users.

I've not gotten to test the linux client myself yet, and a recent update says Trinity 2(The new DX9 Engine) will not be available to linux users until early 2008, but transgaming has began work on implementing it.

They also stated that Trinity 2 will not work with WINE, but I'd suspect wine will have support for it before transgaming finishes their version.

At any rate I was going to say their decrease in performance from the windows native client should be no less than 15%, if your performance is vastly decreasing we should begin figuring out what on your particular system or Archlinux in general would be giving more than 15% decrease in performance.

#13 2007-11-07 22:56:45

Apewall

I uploaded my PKGBUILD to AUR for use, as it seems to be in order, I warn you it is my first PKGBUILD, and I used the gentoo eve client and cedega dependencies.

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … s=0&SeB=nd

#14 2007-11-08 00:11:34

ReaphSharc
Website

Well I got the splash screen so far, and a few errors in the terminal. I'll see if I can solve them and get eve running anyway.

Anyone getting it running, post a screenie at your earliest convinience wink

I'm 100% Linux!

#15 2007-11-08 01:18:11

Milfadoodle

wWtqAsULS.jpg

#16 2007-11-08 07:49:43

Negher
Website

Apewall wrote:

I uploaded my PKGBUILD to AUR for use, as it seems to be in order, I warn you it is my first PKGBUILD, and I used the gentoo eve client and cedega dependencies.

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … s=0&SeB=nd

Great idea. Should have done it before wink.

#17 2007-11-08 13:20:15

ReaphSharc
Website

It will start, but will only run in 1024x768 (which is a lower resolution then I'm used too) and only fullscreen. In the options screen, I can't select windowed and if I change the resolution to a higher setting and press close, the client stops and doesn't restart on it's own. When I start it, it is still 10x24 fullscreen, but other settings have been saved.

As long as I stay inside a station, everything is fine and dandy, as soon as I undock the client crashes and when I try to login again and eve starts to load my toon (now outside a station somewhere) the client crashes again.

I also get the error:

sh: lsb_release: command not found

This can be solved by installing lsb_release, but the package isn't in pacman or AUR. I've been browsing the web to find a source tarball to make a PKGBUILD for it, but no luck so far.

I'm 100% Linux!

#18 2007-11-08 13:30:16

Gilneas

How does Eve online compare to others such as Vendetta online and Freelancer?

#19 2007-11-08 13:43:24

Milfadoodle

ReaphSharc wrote:

It will start, but will only run in 1024x768 (which is a lower resolution then I'm used too) and only fullscreen. In the options screen, I can't select windowed and if I change the resolution to a higher setting and press close, the client stops and doesn't restart on it's own. When I start it, it is still 10x24 fullscreen, but other settings have been saved.

As long as I stay inside a station, everything is fine and dandy, as soon as I undock the client crashes and when I try to login again and eve starts to load my toon (now outside a station somewhere) the client crashes again.

I also get the error:

sh: lsb_release: command not found

This can be solved by installing lsb_release, but the package isn't in pacman or AUR. I've been browsing the web to find a source tarball to make a PKGBUILD for it, but no luck so far.

You can run eve -config to get the cedega config options for eve, there you can set windowed mode.
Remember to turn off dx_grab there aswell if you're running windowed.
I get the lsb_release warning aswell but it does not affect running the client as far as I can tell.

Gilneas wrote:

How does Eve online compare to others such as Vendetta online and Freelancer?

Been a long time since I played Freelancer and I've never tried Vendetta. But Eve is third person and more tactical when it comes to fighting. It's very hard to summarize eve but it's really massive and the learning curve is steep but once you get into it, set some goals for yourself and find a good bunch of people to team up with I'd say it's the most rewarding mmo out there.

Only thing I can say it get the trial and see for yourself if it's a (THE) game for you.

https://secure.eve-online.com/ft/?aid=1 … &nogreet=1 <- Free 14 day trial without credit card requirement.
Feel free to contact me in-game if you want help.

Last edited by Milfadoodle (2007-11-08 17:03:48)

#20 2007-11-08 18:19:07

ReaphSharc
Website

Thanks Milfadoodle, I'll try that.

Edit: I just tried it and it works like a charm. I can now start it windowed in 1024x768. Changing resolution still crashes the client. Even after trying out a few configuration settings.
So I can play eve in Arch. Just as long as I stay docked, because in open space, the client crashes. lol
Guess it's still handy for a skillchange when working in linux. roll

To further answer Gilneas:
EVE is what they call a 'sandbox' MMO. There are no set classes and all characters can learn all skills available, including those 'common'to another race. Another 'sandbox' aspect when it comes to the 'no set classes' is that you could start a char that mines, get tired with that, train for production, research or trade and if that gets boring, train for pvp and play the game that way. That means only one thing; total absolute freedom to play the game the way you want to play it. Add the fact that there is only one server, 20,000+ chars online at most times of day, over 5000 solar systems, all expansions are free, and a large dedicated userbase and you have a game some will love, others will hate.
Do give the full 14 days a try; eve has a steep learning curve, so the first week or so might be a bit dizzying. Just join a player-corp (=guild) as soon as you can and let them help you find your way around.

Last edited by ReaphSharc (2007-11-08 18:43:10)

I'm 100% Linux!

#21 2007-11-08 19:04:00

Milfadoodle

Have you tried running the windows client through wine?

#22 2007-11-08 19:27:37

ReaphSharc
Website

I don't wanna put that much effort into it to be honest.

With any luck, I'm getting a new box next week which has a GForce 8-series card with 640MB RAM in it. Hopefully that will run is without a hitch.

I'm 100% Linux!

#23 2007-11-08 19:36:42

Apewall

ReaphSharc wrote:

Thanks Milfadoodle, I'll try that.

Edit: I just tried it and it works like a charm. I can now start it windowed in 1024x768. Changing resolution still crashes the client. Even after trying out a few configuration settings.
So I can play eve in Arch. Just as long as I stay docked, because in open space, the client crashes. lol
Guess it's still handy for a skillchange when working in linux. roll

That was my suspect for an ATI card under the cedega client, Windows version on WINE works on my ATI card and is "playable", while ATI has come lengths in their linux support, I find that it seems many linux programs falling behind now, unfortunately.

#24 2007-11-09 01:18:22

Milfadoodle

Threw in Arch64 tonight and I can report success with Eve here aswell with the same performance as my 32bit install.

#25 2007-11-19 17:42:52

F

Milfadoodle wrote:

Have you tried running the windows client through wine?

Yes, it actually wasn't too difficult but there were some very, very annoying bugs that absolutely nobody had any idea how to fix. (i.e. mainly problems with the mouse and not really 'fitting' the screen. what I mean by that is that all the pixels were shifted to a certain direction and you'd have empty space at the bottom or right or left (or pick any two) that would be annoying)

Board footer