#26 2007-11-23 08:09:35

Hrisebro

Re: EVE Online Linux Support is here.

I think I am going to reactivate my account when i get my Thinkpad R61 14" WXGA

Im from the cold contry of Norway O.o

#27 2007-11-29 09:01:00

hpestilence

I just started playing this game and I had the problem of the splash screen becoming black and then freezing. I was able to fix this by running "eve -config" and setting my audio hardware from "hw" to "default".

Just posting this in case other people have problems.

#28 2008-01-28 16:09:03

ReaphSharc
Website

I'm trying to install eve on my new shiny Lenovo T61 laptop (thanks boss!), but I get an error:

==> Tidying install...
  -> Removing info/doc files...
  -> Compressing man pages...
  -> Stripping debugging symbols from binaries and libraries...
/usr/bin/strip: usr/lib/eve/gddb_parser64.so: File format not recognized

Solution anyone?

Do you want a Bubble Icon? Feel free to submit your requests or personal creations to be included in future releases.
I'm 100% Linux!

#29 2008-01-28 17:14:20

byte

Add options=('!strip') to the PKGBUILD.

Every PKGBUILD using precompiled binaries should have that line, in my opinion.

#30 2008-02-06 11:03:14

ReaphSharc
Website

Another problem: on my laptop (Lenovo T61) EVE won't start. I think the problem is that eve wants to start in 32-bits colours, which it can't because the Intel GM965 card won't support 32-bits colours. Before anyone laughs at me for buying a laptop with that card; it's the laptop my boss gave me for my work (my private hardware has a Nvidia card).
Is there a config file I can hack so EVE will start in 16-bits colours? Been looking, but have not found it (yet).

Do you want a Bubble Icon? Feel free to submit your requests or personal creations to be included in future releases.
I'm 100% Linux!

#31 2008-02-07 16:56:01

Crooksey
Website

Slightly off the technical topic, but how is EVE to play?

I played a free trial around a year ago, never really left my ship (can you leave your ship)?

Is the community quite good?

Havent played an mmo in ages, wondered if its worth a play tongue

--

Free trial, so why not, works fine smile

http://phil0d0x.com/~crooksey/Screens/eve_wide.png

Last edited by Crooksey (2008-02-07 21:39:20)

Arch Linux since 2006
Python Web Developer + Sys Admin (Gentoo/BSD)

#32 2008-02-09 22:17:07

scorpyn

How is it to play? Well, that depends a lot on what you do and where you do it. I won't go into too much detail about that because I could easily write a fairly large essay about how the game works etc, but the game is mainly divided into mining, trading (in various forms, some of it being safe and some of it being extremely dangerous, some of it having no impact and some of it having a rather major impact), mission whoring, ratting, pirating, anti-pirating (although it's kinda rare), construction, invention (although when you invent stuff you'll always invent the same variation of what you put in), alliance warfare, journalism (rare nowadays though I think), spying, suicide bombing, scamming, griefing etc. So if you think something is boring, you could always do something else.

You can leave your ship, but then you'll end up in a pod. There is a "walk around in the stations" addon being worked on (ambulation), not sure how far they've gotten on that (it might actually be implemented already for all I know, I stopped playing a while ago so I don't stay updated anymore).

The community is good or bad depending on what section of the game and the forums you visit, but just ignore the idiots. As a general rule, anything said in the caod (Corporation, Alliance and Organization Discussions) section of the forums should not be trusted. Also, keep in mind that some ppl recommend you to not use certain modules or visit certain places etc because they don't want you to realize how good they are - so if someone says that something sucks, don't just accept that info.

Anyway, it's not a game of instant gratification. Pretty much everything takes a long time, so unless you're part of a corp (=guild), you'll probably get bored pretty quickly. There are many good aspects of the game, but there are also many bad ones. Try it out, then make up your own mind. It's not for everyone.

ReaphSharc wrote:

Another problem: on my laptop (Lenovo T61) EVE won't start. I think the problem is that eve wants to start in 32-bits colours, which it can't because the Intel GM965 card won't support 32-bits colours. Before anyone laughs at me for buying a laptop with that card; it's the laptop my boss gave me for my work (my private hardware has a Nvidia card).
Is there a config file I can hack so EVE will start in 16-bits colours? Been looking, but have not found it (yet).

prefs.ini?

Otherwise you could try asking here : http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard … lID=630463
Or here : http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard … nelID=3510

(The card needs to suppord hardware T&L, otherwise it won't work no matter what you do. (Update : It appears that the card does support it, but apparently it's taken a while for the drivers to support it as well... perhaps if you could find another driver for it?))

Last edited by scorpyn (2008-02-10 23:39:10)

#33 2008-02-11 10:39:59

ReaphSharc
Website

scorpyn wrote:
ReaphSharc wrote:

prefs.ini?

Otherwise you could try asking here : http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard … lID=630463
Or here : http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard … nelID=3510

(The card needs to suppord hardware T&L, otherwise it won't work no matter what you do. (Update : It appears that the card does support it, but apparently it's taken a while for the drivers to support it as well... perhaps if you could find another driver for it?))

Thanks, I'll look into that.

I'm 100% Linux!

#34 2009-02-09 09:46:55

ReaphSharc
Website

............. and support is gone again:

Hello,

My name is Arend Stührmann, also known as CCP Whisper, and I am the producer in charge of the project bringing EVE Online to the Mac and Linux operating systems. As you may know, we have been working in partnership with Transgaming Technologies, utilizing their Cider engine to allow EVE Online to run on the Mac OS and their Cedega engine to enable operation under Linux. This project went live in late 2007 and in that time we have seen the same slow, steady growth in the numbers of users of the Mac client that has characterized the growth of EVE Online throughout its history. However we have not seen a similar growth in the numbers using our Linux client.

It is for this reason that I am sorry to have to announce that from the 10th of March onwards CCP will no longer be officially supporting the Linux operating system. The low amount of users of the Linux client did not justify the degree of additional complexity having three operating systems imposes on our development and release schedules. There is the matter of maintaining the hardware infrastructure to facilitate the development work, spending man-hours on testing and diagnosing faults in the client as well as regression testing. While we did embark on this project with the aim of being one of the few MMOG's on the market offering a game client for all of the major operating system architectures, we feel that the time and resources that were being spent on the Linux client would be better utilized in areas where more players would benefit from them.

I would like to thank you for your past support of our efforts to bring EVE to the Linux OS. The feedback and commitment we obtained from players like you helped both CCP and Transgaming with our attempts to improve on the quality and stability of the client. Many of us in CCP use Linux and are convinced of its merits as an operating system.

Should you wish to continue playing EVE Online under Linux there are several options available. Some of these are free and some require purchase of software. A selection of these is at the bottom of this e-mail along with basic instructions on how to use EVE Online through them. If you wish to stop playing EVE Online and want to request a refund of unused game time, please contact our billing department by filing a petition in the billing category. They will assist you in obtaining a refund for the remaining game time and closing your account.

Again, thank-you for your support,

Arend Stührmann
Associate Producer
EVE Online

The package in AUR now contains this data.

I'm 100% Linux!

Board footer