You are not logged in.

#151 2008-03-23 18:10:49

Magician21

Re: netcfg2 is now in [testing]

From what I can tell, there is no longer a menu option.  I used that on my laptop all the time.  I know, that's what Exclusive is for...

Maybe I've been under a rock for a while, but this stuff was in testing last I checked.  netcfg doesn't install by default, but the changes to rc.conf (that I pulled in a yesterday) seem to expect that it is already installed.  A whole system upgrade yesterday didn't install netcfg, but my network stopped working.  I had to use ifconfig to get a network connection in order to read the forums and wiki to find out what had happened.  Figuring out how to fix it wasn't hard, but this really came out of left field.

Once I figure out why NETWORKS=(Wired) (with Wired in the network.d folder) doesn't start at boot time, I'll be back to operational.  'netcfg2 Wired' from the command line works just fine.

Edit: As zenlord kindly pointed out, adding net-profiles to my daemons list fixed that right up.  I had commented out network, but not merged in (from .pacnew) net-profiles.

Last edited by Magician21 (2008-03-23 18:14:11)

#152 2008-03-23 23:48:21

iphitus
Forum Fellow

netcfg used to be in initscripts.
it was rewritten, netcfg v2, and put in a package, 'netcfg' separate from initscripts.

what has happened is that has now replaced the old one.

netcfg2 is practically an entirely new system, you need to create new configs.

Magician21: netcfg2 has a menu option, but it was moved into a separate script, netcfg-menu.

#153 2008-03-24 00:51:36

Stoffi

so...
I'm using netcfg2 now? after a system upgrade.
(not using testing repository)

#154 2008-03-24 02:28:03

Magician21

What confused me greatly is why it wouldn't be a dependency of something in core, given that the network configuration occurs as part of the boot sequence.  A pacman -Sl doesn't even list the package as available.  You have to pacman -S core/netcfg (which installs netcfg2).  If it's required for proper operation with the current rc.conf and associated scripts, something should pull it in.  It's not too much to ask someone using Arch to figure this one out - we're generally not noobs.  It was just a sequence of events that were not obvious to me.  Again, that may just have been my general lack of attentiveness.

For what it's worth, this looks like something that will drastically clean up the networking system, particularly with wireless configuration.  You and any others that worked on it should be commended for your efforts.

You're right, putting menu in the NETWORK=() section did actually give me a menu.  The last time I had tried it, I was still using the old style of NET_PROFILES=(menu).  Doh!

Last edited by Magician21 (2008-03-24 02:35:12)

#155 2008-03-26 04:09:38

iphitus
Forum Fellow

there's still the classic style of Arch networking - netcfg doesnt replace that. It's capable of the same yes, but the classic style is wonderful and simple - it's not going anywhere.

netcfg isn't depended on, because it's not essential. Most desktops won't need profiles for example. Making netcfg 2 a depends of initscripts would force all users to have wireless_tools and wpa_supplicant installed. Not good.

Anyway... netcfg v2.0.7 coming in a bit. A few changes.

James

Last edited by iphitus (2008-03-26 04:11:06)

#156 2008-04-02 20:41:35

fflarex

Is it possible to specify a wireless address for a profile (for example, so that I don't automatically connect to every network named linksys, but only a specific one)?

Also, I'm confused on the wpa support. How do I enter a username/password, certificate, and EAP method? or is enterprise wpa not support...

Board footer