You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-09 12:41:00

besimorhino

prefered hibernation method?

What's the currently preferred hibernation method for Arch Core Dump?

I found a how-to that recommends suspend2 and points to this wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Suspend_to_Disk   However it looks like this is now depricated on Arch. 

So what should I use to hibernate?  pm-hibernate?  suspend?  Something else?

If it makes any difference, I'm trying to get this setup on an Asus R2H

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks much!
- Besimorhino

I'm always willing to RTFM.  Please just point me to the right FM!!  :-)

#2 2007-11-09 18:01:42

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: prefered hibernation method?

I think pm-utils is the current de-facto standard in the linux community. This stuff changes way too rapidly for me to keep up 8)

#3 2007-11-09 19:57:31

patroclo7

Pm-utils and the hibernate script are just two helper applications in order to use the actual suspend methods (actually the hibernate script lets you choose the method you prefer, while pm-utils is a bit more rigid).
The actual hibernation methods are three:
1) vanilla kernelspace method;
2) suspend2/tuxonice method;
3) userspace ususpend.
The first method is the slowest, most unreliable and relatively unmaintained method, while the other two methods are competing in features, speedness and stability (there is no general agreement about which is the  best one from any of these points of view).
The method 2) requires that you patch and build your own kernel, since arch does not provide anymore a kernel26tuxonice. You can follow the huge documentation in www.tuxonice.net.
The method 3) can be used with arch stock kernel, thanks to the suspend package in AUR unsupported.

I have followed quite closely the debate in the LKML about these issues. And, if I have understood well, the future will be a deep modification of 1) such that much of the code of 2) can be incorporated in the vanilla kernel (this will happen in the long term). Linus Torvald hates 3) and any other form of userspace hibernation. However, many other kernel devs are actually working on improving ususpend, that is the method 3).

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#4 2007-11-09 23:02:45

buttons

Answer: Whichever works, which is for many of us "None of them."

I happily suggest trying each in turn.

Cthulhu For President!

#5 2007-11-09 23:32:15

besimorhino

Thanks much for the insightful comments!  So far pm-utils appears to be treating me well.

Have a nice day!
- Besimorhino

I'm always willing to RTFM.  Please just point me to the right FM!!  :-)

Board footer