You are not logged in.

#26 2007-11-15 14:32:26

lumiwa

Re: BSD-Linux

finferflu wrote:

I have read the documentation (not all, just what I needed), and it's quite comprehensive, but I was talking about wikis, like help for specific devices, applications, and so on.

For BSD and Linux you can fin on www.onlamp.com

#27 2007-11-22 22:17:42

Jinxxed

Misfit138 wrote:

BSD seems very cool. It seems very similar to Slackware and Arch in some ways.

Slackware uses the BSD init and the pkg tools resemble one another, Arch, not so much.

#28 2007-11-22 22:25:47

Jinxxed

dolby wrote:

its true that *BSD lack support for many modern hardware.
as far as documentation... FreeBSD has the best official documentation an OS can have. the FreeBSD Handbook

Yes and no, if it wasn't for OpenBSD and Theos zeal many of the drivers that are now (years later) in the Linux kernel wouldn't be there at all. Proprietary drivers, ndis wrappers and other stuff like that isn't supported in OpenBSD at all for obvious reasons.

NetBSD supports more hardware than any other OS does, FreeBSD is about the same and Open, as i previously said, have their own philosophy.

I know a lot of people hate Theo, personally i think he's a great guy who should get more donations for SSH which everyone and their dogs, cats and goldfish use every day but never give him credit for.

If you think the FreeBSD Handbook is great, you'll love the OpenBSD Handbook.

#29 2007-11-22 22:28:17

Jinxxed

finferflu wrote:

I have read the documentation (not all, just what I needed), and it's quite comprehensive, but I was talking about wikis, like help for specific devices, applications, and so on.

Check Usenet and the various mailinglists and you'll find a whole world of help.

Usenet is kinda forgotten now which is a shame..

#30 2007-11-22 22:43:27

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Sorry for the lame question, but as a complete newbie to BSD, which one would you suggest me to use in terms of simplicity to understand and documentation? I'm looking for a neat solution that will help me understand clearly the mechanics of BSD. It could also be that there isn't much difference between the *BSDs, but I don't know, at this point it's just all a bit confusing to me.
I still hope I can get my wireless card to work, otherwise I'm done with BSD for now, since there's no way I can use a cable connection or afford another wireless card (you know, I'm only a student).

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#31 2007-11-23 05:10:11

Jinxxed

finferflu wrote:

Sorry for the lame question, but as a complete newbie to BSD, which one would you suggest me to use in terms of simplicity to understand and documentation? I'm looking for a neat solution that will help me understand clearly the mechanics of BSD. It could also be that there isn't much difference between the *BSDs, but I don't know, at this point it's just all a bit confusing to me.
I still hope I can get my wireless card to work, otherwise I'm done with BSD for now, since there's no way I can use a cable connection or afford another wireless card (you know, I'm only a student).

I'm of the opinion that a simple install and no config options leave you unaware of the system you are running.

For your regular desktop, FreeBSD, go with current, it's more stable than most Linux releases as is.

There are things you'll need to read up on before starting, BSD's do not use the partition nor naming convention of the various Linux distros. For the desktop, the ports system with the Linux compatability packages in FreeBSD is what you will probably want.

If your wireless works in Linux, it will work in OpenBSD, probably in FreeBSD, the code was there long before it made it into Linux, but just to be on the safe side of things what kind of wireless are we talking about here?

If you have more questions or need step by step instructions, feel free to ask me. smile

#32 2007-11-23 11:03:24

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Wow, thanks for your amazing support, Jinxxed smile
I already have FreeBSD installed, and I was trying to upgrade to the stable release (I don't know if my language is technical enough), since the current one had too old packages, for example Gaim in place of Pidgin. But I think I messed it up, since a lot of errors were coming up here and there, so that I didn't manage to install anything, apart from the stuff from current, which I didn't manage to uninstall successfully (dependencies errors), how bad is that? tongue

Anyway, what presses on me the most is my wireless card, since without the internet I can't do anything.
As I said my wireless card is a Netgear WG111 v2 (at least it's what it says, but there are some issues with versions, and in short it could as well be v1), I tried using the NDIS utility that comes with FreeBSD, but it doesn't detect it. I tried with the Prism54 driver, but it crashes it, and when I try to remove the prism54 module, the system goes for an instant reboot.
I am still waiting for an answer on the BSD forums... should we move our discussion there?

Thanks again smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#33 2007-11-24 02:26:10

oli
Website

It's pure nonsense to go with FreeBSD current. It's of course a very mature development but it can and *will* break very often (apart from maybe 2-3 months before branching)! If you're eager to get some of the MFCed drivers, then go with stable. But it hasn't anything to do with the actuality of the ports. Ports are independent (to some extent) from the operating system (you can use them e.g. in 5/6/7 and to some extent in 4 too!).

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO885 … /handbook/

especially this part,

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO885 … using.html

You have to 'think' BSD, it's a different system.

Use UNIX or die.

#34 2007-11-24 10:52:51

PJ

I got this url a year ago when I was wondering over what the main difference was between Linux and BSD. I might as well post it in this thread:
BSD for Linux users

#35 2007-11-30 14:16:28

Bison
Website

FreeBSD is pretty easy if you are comfortable with ArchLinux, because arch's init-scripts are BSD style.

Last edited by Bison (2007-11-30 14:16:52)

#36 2007-11-30 18:34:16

oli
Website

Most users in FreeBSD don't even care about the init in rc.conf, because they don't need to do so. It's of course KISS, but KISS with common sense. There are much more essential differences which aren't easy to learn for someone who is acquainted to Linux. Just have a look at the handbook for example.

Use UNIX or die.

Board footer