You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-11 04:51:21

krazybastid

Problem running Jacman GUI as Sudo

I have this problem I can't run Jacman (The Pacman FE) as sudo it loads up but I can only use it fully from a root desktop not sudo. I'm sure others have this problem too. Does anybody know what to do?

#2 2007-11-11 17:24:35

mcmillan

Re: Problem running Jacman GUI as Sudo

There's a couple options you can use to get root permissions that are meant to be used with gui programs.

If you run KDE you can if you launch Jacman with kdesu it will ask for your root password  before launching. I think there's a way to set it up to use sudo and a normal user password, but I'm not sure.

If you don't use gnome the same thing can be done with gksu or gksudo. If you're using something else these commands are available in the gksu package.

However I have been able to launch things with the regular sudo on my system. Can you post any errors that might come from running sudo jacman from a terminal.

#3 2007-11-13 00:28:03

krazybastid

Well it runs the jacman program under sudo but it won't install anything kdesu works though I mite try kdesudo if that works also.

#4 2007-11-13 03:42:48

Allan
Pacman
Website

Well, I assume that jacman calls pacman to actually install programs.  So running jacman through sudo appears not to give pacman root access - that seems strange because I thought permissions would pass on to child processes.  Then again, I could be wrong here....

Board footer