You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-11 05:41:34

firecat53
Website

Suspend and hibernate on hp dv6000 (6058cl) problems [solved]

Hi. New arch user, just trying to figure some stuff out.....

(system specs and basic configuration is below)

1. Suspend to ram
   - Using pm-utils or hibernate (suspend to ram only), the laptop will quickly go into suspend. On waking, the screen stays black and the keyboard is frozen (as evidenced by no change in caps-lock key light). Have to power down and restart the machine. This is same behavior I've seen in nearly every distro (Ubuntu Gutsy, Mandriva, Opensuse 10.3, etc....I think it worked on Sabayon 3.4).

2. Suspend to disk
    - Using pm-utils or hibernate scripts, and setting up per the pm-utils wiki page, the laptop will hibernate just fine. On resume, pm-utils will appear to be resuming just fine, but then stop at a black screen with non-flashing cursor in upper left corner. Have to shutdown and restart machine. When resuming from using the hibernate script, it will get almost back to the Gnome window (background, outline of open windows) but then freeze hard and require a hard reboot.  I was able to get suspend to disk working under Ubuntu Gutsy (had to unload ndiswrapper and usb modules so they would restore, but the computer wouldn't freeze in any case).
    - I tried hibernating with X killed (gdm stop) and got the same freeze on the reboot.

I've searched the forum, internet and wiki for any solutions but have come up empty so far.
I love Arch so far, and I'd really love to get this working! Important for laptops!!

Thanks, Scott

Computer -- hp dv6058cl, AMD-64 w/ 2G ram, Broadcom 4311 wireless, Nvidia GeForce Go 7200 w/ nv driver
Arch -- x86_64 up to date as of yesterday. Just a basic install w/ Gnome.

rc.conf:

LOCALE="en_US.utf8"
HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"
TIMEZONE="America/Los_Angeles"
KEYMAP="us"
CONSOLEFONT=
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"

#
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
# HARDWARE
#
# Scan hardware and load required modules at bootup
MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes"
# Module Blacklist - modules in this list will never be loaded by udev
MOD_BLACKLIST=(bcm43xx)
#
# Modules to load at boot-up (in this order)
#   - prefix a module with a ! to blacklist it
#
MODULES=(forcedeth ndiswrapper snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-hda-intel soundcore powernow-k8)
# Scan for LVM volume groups at startup, required if you use LVM
USELVM="yes"

#
# NETWORKING
#
HOSTNAME="scotty"
#
# Use 'ifconfig -a' or 'ls /sys/class/net/' to see all available
# interfaces.
#
# Interfaces to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each interface then list in INTERFACES
#   - prefix an entry in INTERFACES with a ! to disable it
#   - no hyphens in your interface names - Bash doesn't like it
#
# Note: to use DHCP, set your interface to be "dhcp" (eth0="dhcp")
#
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
#eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
wlan0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo !eth0 !wlan0)
#
# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each route then list in ROUTES
#   - prefix an entry in ROUTES with a ! to disable it
#
#gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
#ROUTES=(!gateway)
#
# Enable these network profiles at boot-up.  These are only useful
# if you happen to need multiple network configurations (ie, laptop users)
#   - set to 'menu' to present a menu during boot-up (dialog package required)
#   - prefix an entry with a ! to disable it
#
# Network profiles are found in /etc/network-profiles
#
#NET_PROFILES=(menu)

#
# DAEMONS
#
# Daemons to start at boot-up (in this order)
#   - prefix a daemon with a ! to disable it
#   - prefix a daemon with a @ to start it up in the background
#
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network netfs crond acpid alsa dbus hal cpufreq networkmanager dhcdbd fam gdm)

Boot parameters

title        Arch Linux
root        (hd0,3)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda4 ro quiet pci=nomsi resume=/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-Swap vga=791
initrd        /boot/kernel26.img

Last edited by firecat53 (2007-11-19 18:46:29)

#2 2007-11-11 18:32:48

iBertus

Re: Suspend and hibernate on hp dv6000 (6058cl) problems [solved]

Do you have any stability issues with your setup during normal use? I've got a dv6436nr and it's unstable when using SMP and with compiz.

#3 2007-11-11 19:18:24

firecat53
Website

iBertus:  So far it seems to be stable  -- although I'm not using compiz or the nvidia driver yet...and I'm only on day two of my Arch install. I'd really to work out the suspend issues first. Then I'll try to play that game!  smile  I added the pci=nomsi to the boot line instead of noapic pci=routeirq like I've used for Ubuntu. Sabayon also uses the pci=nomsi. All my USB ports, wireless and sound seem to be functional and no lockups so far.

Scott

#4 2007-11-13 17:24:48

firecat53
Website

Well, hibernate works using the 'hibernate' package. The only thing I know for sure I changed was adding the 'acpi' package in addition to 'acpid'.

I still can't get the darn thing to resume from a suspend to ram. Any suggestions welcome!!! I've tried different distros, different kernels, suspend2, different acpi parameters. AAAARRRGG!! Just wakes up frozen with a black screen. No obvious errors in dmesg.

Ideas?

Thanks, Scott

#5 2007-11-13 18:18:41

lilsirecho
Veteran

What happens if you enter ...ctl alt +/-....with the black screen?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#6 2007-11-13 20:53:55

patroclo7

Did you try in the suspension-to-ram all the tricks proposed by the hibernate-script? In particular the three different vbetool uses, the SwitchToText and DummyXServer (if this is the correct spelling, see man hibernate.conf) ?

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#7 2007-11-13 23:02:18

infinitycircuit

Read up on vbetool--both the xorg.conf settings and the command vbetool post.

If that fails, go to the think wiki website and go to the section on "problem with screen remaining blank on resume."  Try every possible combination of tools there.  That has worked for me no matter what laptop I use--it just takes trial and error.

P.S. Just looking over your rc.conf, I suggest that you make a couple changes.  These have worked on my Gateway and my Thinkpad, but they might be different for your setup--so take them with a grain of salt.  You can load everything but gdm in the background to speed up the boot process (see the arch wiki page on speeding up boot).  Also, dhcdbd is a known power hog (see the intel power top website).  Similarly, famd is known for causing system hangs arbitrarily after disk usage.  Finally, using the ondemand kernel governor in conjunction with laptop-mode-tools is a more efficient way to manage cpu frequencies than cpufreq.

Last edited by infinitycircuit (2007-11-13 23:07:27)

#8 2007-11-13 23:24:34

firecat53
Website

Well .... I'd love to try out vbetool but....it doesn't appear to be in the repos anymore!  I have core, extra and community enabled and pacman -Ss vbetool returns nothing. I also searched the AUR, but no luck. I did find the source, but it won't compile for me (./configure && make gives 'lrmi.c:83: error: field 'vm' has incomplete type \ lrmi.c: In function 'get_int_seg':' and gets worse from there).  I'm not sure if copying it from my Ubuntu install would work or not?

Thanks, Scott

Lilsirecho -- the keyboard & mouse are completely frozen at the black screen. Ctrl-alt-Bkspc, ctrl-alt-del, ctrl-alt-F1 all do nothing.
Infinitycircuit -- thanks for the rc.conf tips!

Last edited by firecat53 (2007-11-14 00:27:48)

#9 2007-11-14 06:18:32

patroclo7

First, vbetool is absolutely necessary for a majority of laptops in order to accomplish acceptable resume cycles. Second, it is in extra in this moment (and it was always there, I think)! Try a pacman -Sy vbetool.

Please try everything with vbetool: not only to save the state immediately before the suspension, but also to save the state in a specific file and, as a last resource, the vbetool post trick.

#10 2007-11-14 18:21:51

firecat53
Website

Vbetool is not in the Arch64 repository. That would be the problem. I checked the official arch ftp site and the ibiblio mirror. It's in the i686 repos but not x86_64. I tried compiling it, but got errors. Any ideas? I don't know enough about compiling things to try and fix it.

Thanks, Scott

#11 2007-11-14 19:38:00

patroclo7

While, I have no x86_64 installation where to check what to do, I see that the gentoo ebuild calls x86 emulation to accomplish thc compilation.

#12 2007-11-19 13:27:44

firecat53
Website

Well. I'm not sure if it's the boot parameters or the video driver, but I'm now successfully suspending AND hibernating using pm-suspend or pm-hibernate.  Instead of pci=nomsi, I'm now using noapic irqpoll, and I'm using the 96xx nvidia driver (anything newer causes frequent lockups).

Glad to still be here!! Now if anyone can get the Citrix 10 client working, let me know!!

Scott

Board footer