You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-16 14:11:45

rls

Arch - Amateur Look on Shutdown

Arch is a great distro but the FAIL for fam and network on shutdown give it an amateur look. I know it doesn't affect functionality, but appearance sometimes matters.

"Es gibt nichts mehr praktish als theorie" L. Boltzmann

#2 2004-04-16 17:22:22

mr_ed

Re: Arch - Amateur Look on Shutdown

I don't get any fail messages at all.

Maybe file a bug report?

#3 2004-04-16 17:24:17

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

If you get FAIL then something is more likely not set up correctly....

Mr Green

Mr Green

#4 2004-04-16 17:31:12

morphus

Sometimes you are not having an network card or a cable connected...
and then the network won't start (failure which is ok to inform you) but on shutdown there also appears a network stop failed message which is not ok...

#5 2004-04-16 20:13:43

shadov

Do you have portmap installed and running when fam starts? Fam doesn't start if portmap isn't running, but the starting script will still say "OK".

Application of abstract techniques and utilities to solving a particular business problem is NOT a patentable idea. It is a fundamental concept of the IT industry.

#6 2004-04-17 01:17:12

jlvsimoes
Website

so here the problem goes to the user tongue

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GU/ d- s: a- C L U P+ L+++ E--- W+
N 0+ K- W-- !O !M V-- PS+ PE- V++ PGP T 5 Z+ R* TV+ B+
DI-- D- G-- e-- h! r++ z+ z*
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

#7 2004-04-17 11:36:15

lanrat

Ok. I upgraded my digikam today and during it's startup I saw that it can't find fam. I do have portmap and fam (in this order) in DAEMONS list in rc.conf and fam started properly last time but ps ax | grep fam shows no fam. This was strange so I decided to read fam's manual first and found this:

Normally,  fam  is  started  by  inetd(1M). It  is  registered   with portmap(1M) as performing the sgi_fam service

But in arch fam "normally" is started from /etc/rc.d/fam. Then I found this about commandline options:

-T idle_timeout Set  the  idle timeout interval to idle_timeout.  fam exits  idle_timeout  seconds  after its  last  client  disconnects.  A value of 0 causes fam to wait indefinitely for new  connections.  The default is five seconds

and this about /etc/fam/fam.conf

idle_timeout This is the time in  seconds  that  fam  willwait  before  exiting  after  its last client disconnects.  The default  is  five  seconds. This  option is overridden by the -T commandline option.

Since in /etc/rc.d/fam there is no -T option this means that if you don't run fam from inetd or xinetd it may stop by itself. The simpliest solution is to edit /etc/fam/fam.conf and remove # before idle_timeout and change the value to 0. Later I also found this thread (I know I know I should do this first then I could save a couple of minutes :-)) which seems to confirm this solution http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … hlight=fam
So this should be the reason (or one of the reasons) why fam fails to stop during shutdown.

#8 2004-04-17 13:21:51

rls

Thanks to all for the interesting replies.

I do have portmap installed along with fam and I did discover the obscure thread that solved the fam FAIL issue. As Mr. Green noted, it was/is a config situation with the cure being to set idle_timeout=0 in the /etc/fam/fam.conf file. My point is that this FAIL occurs with Arch "out-of-the-box." Then again, Arch isn't for beginners and perhaps every other Archer but me knows the solution.

As for the network FAIL, that has been the subject of several threads, some dating back many months. Solutions have been proposed, but none have worked for me. When I understand shell scripting better, I will fix it.

If you have a shiny new car with a dent in the fender, the dent doesn't affect the functionality or the performance, but it sure is ugly.

"Es gibt nichts mehr praktish als theorie" L. Boltzmann

#9 2004-04-17 15:26:41

shadov

BTW: Does KDE automaticly use fam if it is available, or do I need to tweak something in KDE settings too? Just making sure...

Application of abstract techniques and utilities to solving a particular business problem is NOT a patentable idea. It is a fundamental concept of the IT industry.

Board footer