You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-13 00:36:09

krazybastid

What can Arch do? How to Ubuntuize Arch?

A few things I'm struggling with now I'm looking into using Cedega for PC Games because I've found wine to not work well unless you can configure it and mess with the code. I'm having trouble installing themes and my zsnes Super Nintendo Emulator the sound doesn't work. Jacman is just as good as synaptic but how do you add new repos. And where to find them.More network capability what do I need to look for for shell commands.I can't do whois,finger, I can't use ifup eth0 or ifdown eth0. I really don't want to go back to Ubuntu. Even though Ubuntu is really good but I don't like the name of it being all Afrocentric. And plus Arch is i686. I'd rather put my questions into one post and not do 4 posts on the things I couldn't do.

#2 2007-11-13 00:45:40

dolby

Re: What can Arch do? How to Ubuntuize Arch?

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2007-11-13 01:07:06

kumico
Website

1: i can't help ,, because i don't know what the problem is

2: im not sure about ,, what's the nature of your setup ,, i.e are you using alsa ,, if so maybe zsnes is an oss app ,, more setup may be required then

3: jacman is simply a front-end to pacman ,, so configure pacman `/etc/pacman.conf` ,, all teh official repos are listed there already , just   uncomment the likes of [testing] (not recommended for new users) ,, or [unstable] take or leave ,,, and [community] recommended , many pkgs in aur are maintained here ,, so saves you having to build them yourself ,, you may find other custom repos in the forum or in the wiki
and don't forget about the wiki:aur ,, forum:yaourt is an excellent tool to interface with it

4: elaborate

5: whois, netkit-bsd-finger, are in extra search for alternatives, there are plenty ,,

6: ifconfig eth0 up; ifconfig eth0 down

#4 2007-11-13 06:28:43

sveinemann

Arch is everyting Ubuntu isn`t, if you want to keep using Arch you need to have an urge to learn about it aswell. wink

Last edited by sveinemann (2007-11-13 06:29:06)

#5 2007-11-13 06:31:23

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

krazybastid wrote:

A few things I'm struggling with now I'm looking into using Cedega for PC Games because I've found wine to not work well unless you can configure it and mess with the code. I'm having trouble installing themes and my zsnes Super Nintendo Emulator the sound doesn't work. Jacman is just as good as synaptic but how do you add new repos. And where to find them.More network capability what do I need to look for for shell commands.I can't do whois,finger, I can't use ifup eth0 or ifdown eth0. I really don't want to go back to Ubuntu. Even though Ubuntu is really good but I don't like the name of it being all Afrocentric. And plus Arch is i686. I'd rather put my questions into one post and not do 4 posts on the things I couldn't do.

1. You ditch a distro because you don't like its name? Way to go.
2. Arch is i686 indeed. However, the apps where it matters (Xine) are i686 too on Ubuntu afaik.
3. All the commands you can't use are programs that are not installed. Except for the Ubuntu/Debian-centric ones, that is.

My advice: go back to Ubuntu, or learn how to set up Arch, and read the Wiki.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2007-11-13 08:32:12

sH

krazybastid wrote:

Even though Ubuntu is really good but I don't like the name of it being all Afrocentric.

dude...

#7 2007-11-13 13:20:18

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

krazybastid wrote:

I really don't want to go back to Ubuntu. Even though Ubuntu is really good but I don't like the name of it being all Afrocentric.

I don't like the name either.
It might sound silly, but when I first started playing around with GNU/Linux, lots of people on the forums recommended Ubuntu and Kubuntu, but I couldn't get past the lame name. tongue

#8 2007-11-13 14:35:54

sH

In Germany the word SUSE is part of the word Heulsuse, which means "crybaby".

I really think that names do not matter. Otherwise it helps to have a cool distro-name on boot up when you show to your friends ?

#9 2007-11-13 15:08:38

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Please ignore the naming issue guys and stick to answering the questions, that's what Newbie Corner is for. Links to relevant wiki articles, search results, and requests for additional information will probably be most educational.

Dusty

#10 2007-11-13 16:02:11

Doehni

A very good article to start is the Beginners Guide: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

#11 2007-11-13 20:33:21

Jack B
Website

Cedaga/zsnes: no idea, I don't use.

Jacman: as already said, Jacman is a graphical frontend for the command-line pacman. Configuring pacman is what you want to do, and /etc/pacman.conf is the place to do it.

Network: whois and finger are provided by other packages. ifup and ifdown are ubuntu things, try "ifconfig eth0 up" to bring the interface up and "ifconfig eth0 down" to reverse the process. You might also want to look at dhcpcd to obtain an IP address, and various methods of automating the process, such as ifplugd.

HTH
Jack

#12 2007-11-13 22:49:34

btartsa

whois finger etc. should be in the dnsutils package.

#13 2007-11-13 23:13:26

loosec

zsnes always worked without trouble here, don't need wine for that. And for Wine trouble you whould check their homepage. Same goes for Cedega.

#14 2007-11-14 00:36:30

pelle.k

krazybastid wrote:

Synaptic? bah!

pacman -Ss ^expressionthatstartwiththis | less

"regular expressions", "pacman" and "less" is way cooler than synaptic wink

/etc/rc.d/network ifup eth0

What's wrong with that? (i assume you've set up eth0 in rc.conf?) btw, you can use ifconfig,iwconfig and dhcdbd/dhclient as well. Or use network profiles like you would with networkmanager.

Give it some time, read up on it. The beginners guide is really good. You'll be hacking away in no time.
Oh, and "man <command>" is your friend!

Last edited by pelle.k (2007-11-14 00:37:30)

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#15 2007-11-14 05:14:46

krazybastid

I wish there was more documentation on how to do things I mite check in my local bookstore for a book on Arch. I tryed googling for more documentation.

#16 2007-11-14 05:28:56

Susu
Website

As Doehni said the Beginners Guide is a very good thing to start with...

Album reviews (in german): http://schallwelle.filzo.de

#17 2007-11-14 08:47:31

Fatsobob

There wont be any books on arch for a while, it isn't a Main Stream distro on the scale of say Debian or Gentoo.....yet big_smile

#18 2007-11-14 18:10:47

faemir

I wish there was more documentation on how to do things

coughbeginnersguidecough.

#19 2007-11-14 19:38:15

Klepto

krazybastid wrote:

I'm new to Arch, though not to GNU/Linux. One of the things that has impressed me is the documentation and the website in general, especially considering the user base is smaller than the mainstream distros.

I'm a moderate, it's the mainstream that's extremist.

#20 2007-11-14 20:22:43

Cipher

Klepto wrote:
krazybastid wrote:

I'm new to Arch, though not to GNU/Linux. One of the things that has impressed me is the documentation and the website in general, especially considering the user base is smaller than the mainstream distros.

and the documentation is not duplicated or triplicated, only search for beryl+ubuntu and millions of pages, for arch, read the wiki cool

your problems, try to use pacman from the cli, is really easy, and repositories are also are easy to add, but are enought packages is the aur to need extra repos. zsnes looks like a configuration problem.

sorry for my english...

#21 2007-12-04 10:45:37

krazybastid

Well everyone is quick to say something to me otherwise about the pros and cons of Linux and Windows. I'm not one of those types to say Winblows to sound cool or savvy. There are still alot of advantages Windows has over Linux. Like everything in Windows is pretty configurable threw GUI for people who want an easy way of doing things. I'm currently having problems with Configuring Firefox to have a full internet experence with websites. The 3 major ones. My website plays music, I can onlu here music in Internet Explorer in Windows not Firefox. Flash is OK. And the java version is slow for loading java applets in Firefox I know it's a configuration problem I installed the binary sun java Linux i586 and I put the plugins in the right folder but it is still reading the slower java version. To be positive for Linux, Linux is a supurb programming envirnment which offers interest in intellegent minded people who are developers. To have a truely efficient machine I would erase windows I would need a solid wine to beable to utilize all my programs. Then I could kiss Windows good bye.

#22 2007-12-04 14:24:04

broch
Banned

Well everyone is quick to say something to me otherwise about the pros and cons of Linux and Windows.

.... but you are the only one using word "windows" in this thread. I don't think that anyone will mention windows unless asked (one of great assets of this forum which is about Arch)

Last edited by broch (2007-12-04 14:24:31)

#23 2007-12-04 18:24:31

jubstuff
Website

The first thing i heard about this distro "Arch linux : for power users"
It should be changed "Arch linux : for those who read *carefully* its wiki" big_smilelol:lol:

The future's card is alway blank.....

#24 2007-12-04 21:45:54

d3br074

for ZSNES, you know there is a linux version which is pretty easy to install.  It's new this version.  just make sure you compile it with the prefix "--prefix=/usr" or it wont work.

#25 2007-12-04 22:01:13

SilentM

krazybastid wrote:

Well everyone is quick to say something to me otherwise about the pros and cons of Linux and Windows. I'm not one of those types to say Winblows to sound cool or savvy. There are still alot of advantages Windows has over Linux. Like everything in Windows is pretty configurable threw GUI for people who want an easy way of doing things. I'm currently having problems with Configuring Firefox to have a full internet experence with websites. The 3 major ones. My website plays music, I can onlu here music in Internet Explorer in Windows not Firefox. Flash is OK. And the java version is slow for loading java applets in Firefox I know it's a configuration problem I installed the binary sun java Linux i586 and I put the plugins in the right folder but it is still reading the slower java version. To be positive for Linux, Linux is a supurb programming envirnment which offers interest in intellegent minded people who are developers. To have a truely efficient machine I would erase windows I would need a solid wine to beable to utilize all my programs. Then I could kiss Windows good bye.

If you want everything to be configurable through a GUI, Arch is not the distro for you. However, with time you may find that you prefer the CLI, as I have. At first I was terrified of it, honestly. But I realized that, through the CLI, I could do things 10x faster than I could with any GUI.

Board footer