You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-16 20:52:27

srey

Testing repository announcement

While I hope this was not done specifically to appease Eugenia at OSNews, it's nonetheless a very good idea that will benefit everyone in this community.

I, for one, will try to help in any way I can with testing some of the packages.  I'll bet there will be many other volunteers as well.

Arch 0.6 - Kernel 2.6.5 - Fluxbox 0.9.8

#2 2004-04-16 22:06:11

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Testing repository announcement

testing has been in planning a lot longer than people like Eugenia.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-04-17 00:57:00

ganlu

I absolutely vote for it, so we can avoid such problem as gnome2.6.

#4 2004-04-17 02:24:05

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Sarah would be happy, bless her. smile

#5 2004-04-17 17:46:54

linfocito

For me the only problem with Archlinux <b>was</b> some odds with certain packages, so I figured out that ABS allow me to fix that ones.

Aside that, I think this testing repo is an outstanding idea, just like the project settled by Contrasutra (http://arch.gooeylinux.org/).

When we reach (and I believe we will) a meaningful userbase involved in testing and reviewing the packages (with attention and <b>intention</b>) we will get a far better distribution. (Although Archlinux already is the best distro I know).

"...archoholism is a hard disease to cure..."
Archlinux Brasil

#6 2004-04-20 23:30:34

srey

I was just looking at all the bugs Eugenia submitted.   I'm not sure what her system looks like, but I don't have problems with most of the stuff she reported.

What really irks me is that she is requesting to "run hotplug by default on arch so I don't have to do battle with modprobe.conf.  I want automatic hardware detection"

I hope Judd doesn't give in to these types of requests.  I use arch specifically to configure everything by hand.   KISS philosophy works best.   If she can't load her modules correctly or doesn't know what hardware she's using, why is she here?

There's also a bug report from her with a subject of "GNOME 2.6 is completely hosed".  That's just rude.  I installed GNOME 2.6 the first day it went up on pacman, and yes there were some problems, but even then I got it working within 24 hours, and reading Arjan's advice to install gconf first before the rest.  Today I just did a complete clean installation of GNOME to check her claims, and I found that the installation went perfect, with eveything working (so far).

Maybe my machine has some magic on it where everything works and hers does not?

Arch 0.6 - Kernel 2.6.5 - Fluxbox 0.9.8

#7 2004-04-21 00:17:48

wdemoss

Mine must be magical too. I also installed gnome26 right off, the problems I experience were very minor. Now, everything is great. I expect these little problems with AL. One of the many reasons I use arch is for the newest and greatest packages are so quickly available. It takes advantage of the idea that many eyes make all problems shallow and the larger and more diverse a testing community, the better software you end up. This is especially true with integration work. I also have added testing and staging to my repositories. I think it helps contribute to the Arch feel.

-wd

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

Board footer