You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-14 08:19:50

ironbug

launch openoffice impress from terminal

how do you figure out what the command is to launch a program from a terminal?
for some reason i thought that they all should be in /usr/bin/
specifically, i need to launch openoffice impress... i just switched to openbox from xfce and don't have any application menu to hold my hand hmm

#2 2007-11-14 09:15:08

PJ

Re: launch openoffice impress from terminal

Impress has the following path: /opt/openoffice/program/simpress
You could always create a bash-script similar to the one written below in /usr/bin and have the possibility to execute impress by just typing the name of the script.

#!/bin/bash
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/simpress "$@"

Some more useful tips in the wiki:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenOffice

<edit>
In case you want a menu with more applications in it, you could always use menumaker to generates a menu. It creates a pretty decent menu but I wouldn't say that it will suite everyone. I personally prefer to create my own and I usally do it with some help from obmenu (which could be found in community).
</edit>

Last edited by PJ (2007-11-14 09:59:16)

#3 2007-11-14 10:01:18

ironbug

wow... i feel like an ass for missing that wiki... thanks for pointing it out
what's the benefit of creating an extra script when i can just add an alias to my .bashrc?
as for the menu stuff, i already use obmenu, i just meant when i install new apps it didn't automatically/magically appear in the menu like the xfce menu editor

is there any place you could point me where i could read up on the different folders of /
what would you call that topic

#4 2007-11-14 10:26:52

PJ

ironbug wrote:

wow... i feel like an ass for missing that wiki... thanks for pointing it out

No problem. smile

ironbug wrote:

what's the benefit of creating an extra script when i can just add an alias to my .bashrc?

If you have more than one user on your system then everyone will be able to start impress by typing the name of the script in the shell. If you only have one user then this might be a bit overkill.

ironbug wrote:

as for the menu stuff, i already use obmenu, i just meant when i install new apps it didn't automatically/magically appear in the menu like the xfce menu editor

No it doesn't by default, but it is possible to do with a pipe-menu. There seems to be 2 different implementations of this in the Openbox wiki.
http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Openbox:Pipemenus

ironbug wrote:

is there any place you could point me where i could read up on the different folders of /

Do you mean something like this?
TLDP - Linux Filesystem Hierarchy

ironbug wrote:

what would you call that topic

No idea, since I am not sure what you are really looking for.

#5 2007-11-14 16:02:00

ironbug

that link (Linux Filesystem Hierarchy) was exactly what i was looking for. thanks!

Board footer