You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-14 13:47:05

nucleuswizard

What OS Wolvix or FaunOS on USB?

I have 2G USB stick,my question is which OS from this two to use,any suggestion would help.I don't any fancy staff like beryl,compiz...

#2 2007-11-14 16:07:05

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: What OS Wolvix or FaunOS on USB?

FaunOs has 500 packages in its USB boot system.  It includes KDE as Desktop but Beryl is selectable, I haven't used it.  Mandog in faunos forum describes his use of Beryl.

The 2GB usb flash you have is ideal for use with FaunOS if you re-partition the ext2 partitionIn this mode,  upon boot-up using the provided gparted package such as to provide storage room for save session data you will need for config changes and additonal desired packages.

Faunos runs very speedy, execution is in ram.

When booted to FaunOS, log out and end session, log-in as root and you will then be in archlinux desktop KDE with a clean desktop.  All menu items are accessible therein.  In this mode, pacman downloads can be handled easily.

FaunOS places you in KDE Desktop as guest.  In terminal, su...root...root will place you in root.

I have a 4GB flash drive, 2GB of ram and have added several packages to my system.  I can boot to ram and have operating ram provided but use a small amount of swap(provided in the flash drive as a 1.4GB partition).  The flash drive contents are loaded into ram in this operating mode, thus the total ram in use is just short of 2GB as regulated by the operating system management, the excess alloted to swap("least used" swapped out as a pagefile).

I contend that the flash drive thusly loaded to ram with swap in use will not "wear out" the flash drive for years since there is so much swap capability provided.

Hopefully, my discourse on FaunOS is sufficient to satisfy your interests.  I haven't any background with wolvix.

I can comment further if you have more questions...cannot compare with wolvix however.

Hope to see you on FaunOS which you can remove and install wolvix for your own inspection.

Raymano, the admin, has suggested we call the next release "speeddaemon" in FaunOS.

Best to you!:)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2007-11-14 16:46:14

nucleuswizard

Re: What OS Wolvix or FaunOS on USB?

Yes FaunOS is great but  I worried about older hardware,because Arch is i686 optimized and sometimes I would boot on older hardware.

Board footer