You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-15 06:29:33

enderandrew

Can't get DRI working on new ATI driver

Using the new ATI fglrx driver I'm experiencing the same corruption/watermark issues many people reported, and I read that enabling AIGLX fixes that.  Sure enough it did, but AIGLX shouldn't work without DRI.

I've got the DRI module loaded, and the DRI section in my xorg.conf, but direct rendering isn't working so thusly I can't get compiz working.

If I attempt glxinfo it tells me I have no protocol selected.

Here is my /var/log/Xorg.0.log

http://pastebin.com/m54192795

I'm not sure what the problem is.  Thanks!

#2 2007-11-15 12:53:36

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Can't get DRI working on new ATI driver

To fix the corruption, instead of AIGLX (which screws up pretty bad for me too) try adding

Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"

You your fglrx "Device" section

#3 2007-11-15 14:11:36

enderandrew

I do have that in my xorg.conf as per the instructions here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AIGLX

Apparently that is what is fixing the graphics corruption.  I have DRI and Compiz working with some of the other distros, so I'm not sure why DRI suddenly isn't working, unless it is a problem with the new ATI driver.

#4 2007-11-15 14:15:26

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

The new fglrx driver isn't all that great.  I"m looking forward to the next one.

#5 2007-11-15 16:25:09

enderandrew

Well, I have a display, so I shouldn't say it isn't working at all, however it isn't working correctly and I can't get AIGLX or XGL working since I can't get direct rendering working.  Neither the Arch nor Gentoo Wikis have helped.

When I run glxinfo I get:

No protocol specified
Error: unable to open display :0

Any ideas?

#6 2007-11-16 17:32:02

enderandrew

Anyone?

#7 2007-11-16 17:44:12

thayer
Fellow
Website

I think we're missing too many pieces to be of much help.... What is your current setup?  DE/WM? ATI card model? What exactly is telling you that DRI isn't working?  From the looks of your X log DRI is initializing as expected.  What does your Xorg.conf look like? What errors are you getting from Compiz?

As Cerebral said, the new fglrx driver is a bit flaky.  It's also the first version to feature DRI-enabled AIGLX support... and ATI themselves have warned users to expect problems.

Last edited by thayer (2007-11-16 17:44:55)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#8 2007-11-17 00:37:47

enderandrew

I can't turn on XGL, nor can I turn on AIGLX.

I'm using KDE and Kwin.

If I attempt glxinfo and glxgears to test that direct rendering is working, I get:

"No protocol specified
Error: unable to open display :0"

I was earlier using this driver and AIGLX sucessfully with Sabayon and with Kubuntu.  We've been trying different distros for my wife's laptop, though at the moment we're pretty happy with Arch.  Note, I couldn't get the new ATI flgrx driver really to work at all with openSUSE on this laptop.  We'd consider using the open source radeon driver, but we have a Radeon Mobility 300 card in the laptop, and we couldn't get DRI to work on that radeon drivers, it says this particular chipset isn't supported.

Compiz fails saying there is no display.  I'm at work, but when I get home in a few hours I can paste specific compiz errors, and the xorg.conf but Compiz isn't going to work until I can enable either AIGLX or XGL, and neither are going to work until direct rendering is working, which I suspect it isn't, since I can't run glxinfo.

#9 2007-11-17 04:43:57

normc
Website

enderandrew wrote:

I can't turn on XGL, nor can I turn on AIGLX.

I'm using KDE and Kwin.

If I attempt glxinfo and glxgears to test that direct rendering is working, I get:

"No protocol specified
Error: unable to open display :0"

I was earlier using this driver and AIGLX sucessfully with Sabayon and with Kubuntu.  We've been trying different distros for my wife's laptop, though at the moment we're pretty happy with Arch.  Note, I couldn't get the new ATI flgrx driver really to work at all with openSUSE on this laptop.  We'd consider using the open source radeon driver, but we have a Radeon Mobility 300 card in the laptop, and we couldn't get DRI to work on that radeon drivers, it says this particular chipset isn't supported.

Compiz fails saying there is no display.  I'm at work, but when I get home in a few hours I can paste specific compiz errors, and the xorg.conf but Compiz isn't going to work until I can enable either AIGLX or XGL, and neither are going to work until direct rendering is working, which I suspect it isn't, since I can't run glxinfo.

If you try to run glxinfo as root that is the error message you get but if you run as  user it works fine. At least on my box.

Norm

Board footer