You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-16 18:56:20

gripepe

Is this the distro I was looking for? - small media center partition

Hello all,

I've been an Ubuntu user since 5.10, I like it and it is my default OS. I use for work, fun, communication and almost everything, although I dual-boot with Windows XP to play some commercial games occasionally, and to test some windows-only software that I am forced to use sometimes. However, with every iteration of Ubuntu, it is getting fatter and more bloated (as well as more useful, of course), and I find the booting time, energy use and resource consumption way too much for some uses.

Example, I wake up in the morning, and I want to listen to some music, browse the web, and read my feeds while having breakfast. OR, just turn it on to watch a film in no time...

So, I wonder if it would be possible to do the following with ArchLinux...

-system working in a very small partition (MM files would be elsewhere), booting with GRUB, and coexisting with the other OS
-very fast boot (No GDM, load the minum amount of modules, etc..)
-lightweight
-small size (around 300-500 meg)

Very few things working:

-wireless
-Music Player
-Lightweight browser +flash+pdf plugin
-Lightweight but good-lookin WM (E16-17, maybe?)
-Lightweight BT client
-Multimedia keys (if possible)

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 640m (similar to the 6400), 2gb RAM, Centrino Duo @1.73gb, intel pro wireless (ipw3495)

Do you think it is possible? If I get it running and I like it, who knows, I could swithc to Arch :-)

Thanks for your help in advance.

#2 2007-11-16 19:28:27

sacamano_m82

Re: Is this the distro I was looking for? - small media center partition

A very minimal installation can be achieved with Arch Linux.

wireless - depending on the card a few kernel modules have to be loaded. Configuration is simple using network profiles.
music player - mpd is minimal and would be the best choice.
browser - firefox.
window manager - i am a fluxbox fan smile
bt client - transmission.

You have certainly come to right distro smile

#3 2007-11-16 19:39:56

Milfadoodle

Yeah I think you've come to the right place.
It's a bit more work to get stuff going compared to ubuntu but in the end you get a leaner and faster system. Just take some time and read the wiki and don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck. It always takes some time to get used to a new OS when you're set in your ways so keep an open mind and don't be put off by things not being as you are used to.

#4 2007-11-16 19:41:58

gripepe

My experience tells me that Firefox is NOT a lightweight browser... It may depend however on the environment it is running, I'm not sure... At least in my Ubuntu it is not (but it is still the most useful out there)

Any alternative?

#5 2007-11-16 19:48:52

Ashren
Website

gripepe wrote:

My experience tells me that Firefox is NOT a lightweight browser... It may depend however on the environment it is running, I'm not sure... At least in my Ubuntu it is not (but it is still the most useful out there)

Any alternative?

Kazehakase is an alternative, and works quite well.

http://kazehakase.sourceforge.jp/

#6 2007-11-16 20:51:40

Milfadoodle

Give opera a try!

#7 2007-11-17 12:04:17

gripepe

ok I decided I will give this I try. Let's see how little and fast I can make it...

What would be a proper size for a partition like this? No SWAP (as I already have one), not going to store anything there. Of course I can always make a big one and later resize it, but I just don't feel very confortable doing that, it's a matter of not being sure if this time gparted will make a mess...

Thanks

Board footer