You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-17 13:24:14

Cyrusm

wow... so this is Arch

so I finally finished setting Arch up on my machine with the gnome DE.  I'm really excited, the setup would have been impossible for me without the noob set-up instructions (they were a life saver!)  Now that I've got everything set up the way I like I was wondering if it would be possible to start different user accounts with different desktop environments (I really want to try out KDE and Fluxbox, but I'm comfortable with gnome, so I want to keep it around for a while)  I'm pretty sure I can just modify the .xinitrc file for whichever user to accomplish this, but I figured I'd ask first.  Otherwise though, this system blows Ubuntu out of the water!  call me a control freak, but I really like being able to modify everything for myself.  also (since my box isn't exactly top of the line) it's nice to be able to customize everything to suit my hardware, my computer has never run this good!  super fast, no burping and farting noises coming from my hard drive, it even looks better on the screen!)   I'm totally nerding out right now.   big_smile  this is the best decision I've ever made! 

Cyrus

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#2 2007-11-17 13:34:41

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: wow... so this is Arch

Welcome.  Glad you are enjoying yourself!

You are right with being able to modify ~/.xinitrc for each user to have different desktop environments.

#3 2007-11-17 13:37:06

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Cyrusm wrote:

I was wondering if it would be possible to start different user accounts with different desktop environments. I really want to try out KDE and Fluxbox, but I'm comfortable with gnome, so I want to keep it around for a while)  I'm pretty sure I can just modify the .xinitrc file for whichever user to accomplish this, but I figured I'd ask first.

You can do exactly that, or you can set up a session picker like gdm... not sure if there are any console-based ones out there, but there should be.

call me a control freak, but I really like being able to modify everything for myself.

No, just an Archer. ;-)

Glad your happy with Arch and welcome to the club. smile

Dusty

#4 2007-11-17 15:53:24

mivo

Hey, welcome to Arch. smile I very recently switched to Arch too, and like you, I found the Beginner's Guide to be tremendously helpful! Oh, and there is a "Hi, Community!"-type-of-thread in the OT section: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=32421 ... if you want to add. smile

Last edited by mivo (2007-11-17 15:54:29)

#5 2007-11-17 16:12:39

Klepto

Cyrusm wrote:

I'm pretty sure I can just modify the .xinitrc file for whichever user to accomplish this

Yes.

I'm a moderate, it's the mainstream that's extremist.

#6 2007-11-17 18:16:06

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Cyrusm wrote:

so I finally finished setting Arch up on my machine with the gnome DE.  I'm really excited, the setup would have been impossible for me without the noob set-up instructions (they were a life saver!)  ..

Cyrus

If you are referring to the Beginner's Guide, then thank you. wink Much kudos and credit to Freigeist for starting it..I and others have added, tweaked, corrected, cut, and pasted it into the entity it is today.

big_smile HE HAS DONE IT!! Welcome to Arch! yikes
Now, back to work. big_smile

Last edited by Misfit138 (2007-11-17 18:21:09)

#7 2007-11-17 22:40:22

kensai
Website

I must say, this kind of feedback is always welcome, and so are you. wink

Last edited by kensai (2007-11-17 22:40:30)

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#8 2007-11-17 22:54:44

lilsirecho
Veteran

Welcome and Happy Thanksgiving...

One sidelight that deserves attention is utilizing the power of archlinux in a flash USB boot system which is speedy due to squashfs operating in ram

This is FaunOS which has 500 packages included, boots best from 2GB of flash to allow for expansion and can be operated in archlinux as an alternate.  Both modes utilize pacman and are equally as fast.  No need for a HDD just flash devices.  Boots in kde in 45 secs.

After a time with archlinux, give this OS a try...nothing lost since it is a LIVE OS with arch as its base.

Gobble...Gobble...Gobble...Turkey time next Thursday!!!

PS...Faun is GNU

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#9 2007-11-17 23:10:28

raymano
Website

PS...Faun is GNU

Just standing on 2 legs. It's evolution baby! wink

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

#10 2007-11-18 02:57:18

japetto

Faun looks cool!

And welcome, Cyrusm.

#11 2007-11-18 04:33:16

Rumor

Cyrusm wrote:

I'm totally nerding out right now.

I may just have to grab that line as a signature.

Smarter than a speeding bullet
My Goodreads profile

#12 2007-11-19 06:34:04

Cyrusm

Wow... now that's a damn good welcoming! Thanks guys.  anyhow, I've got my desktops all prettied up, I;m running gnome under one user and  running Fluxbox under another user.  Fluxbox rox my socks off.  not as "user freindly" as Gnome, but much more efficient and configurable.  and I really like the clean icon free desktop, easily configurable menus, and the efficiency of using the click menu over the toolbar. plus it loads in the blink of an eye!  deffinitely going to check out faunOS soon as well.  anywhere I can post some screenshots? so you can ALL bask in the light of my GLORIOUS desktops! (sorry, it's the one thing I kinda like to show off, they aren't really that great, but I try smile )

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#13 2007-11-19 07:10:01

mucknert

In case you didn't find the search-button: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=39321 tongue

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

Board footer