You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-17 18:43:05

CuleX

Ratpoison multiple questions

Hello

Q1: I like the way, how ion does display tabs on top the frames. Is there an setting that ratpoison does that, too?

Q2: If there's no setting for question one, can i mark at least the active window without having to press a key?

Thanks
CuleX

(I chose ratpoison, because it's easier to handle and configure for me. I don't like Lua)

#2 2007-11-18 03:04:47

pauldonnelly

Re: Ratpoison multiple questions

CuleX wrote:

Q1: I like the way, how ion does display tabs on top the frames. Is there an setting that ratpoison does that, too?

Q2: If there's no setting for question one, can i mark at least the active window without having to press a key?

No and no, to the best of my knowledge. I don't think Ratpoison users usually work with more than a window or two on the screen at once. I certainly don't. I've bound my f-keys to select windows 1-12 and my Windows key to the "other" function (without pressing ^T or another prefix key first). I find that using this setup with only one window on the screen at a time is fastest for me. Sometimes I'll split when I really want to see two things at once, but that's a very rare occurence. I know that F1 is always Emacs, F2 is always Pidgin, F3 is an SSH session to my music-playing computer, and F4 is Firefox. I can go to any one of these without thinking, and it's pretty easy to remember what the numbers for the other windows I have open are. I think this is the way Ratpoison was designed to be used.

If you'd rather have a bunch of windows on-screen at once, wmii, dwm, or ion may be better fits for you. Dwm is configured in plain old C, so you might look in that direction if you're interested.

#3 2007-11-18 07:30:27

CuleX

Re: Ratpoison multiple questions

pauldonnelly wrote:

If you'd rather have a bunch of windows on-screen at once, wmii, dwm, or ion may be better fits for you. Dwm is configured in plain old C, so you might look in that direction if you're interested.

WMii -> Configure is in an Filesystem. Cool. Doh!
dwm -> Looks better. I think, i can set some Ratpoison Keybindings to there
ion -> Lua is an asspain!

EDIT:
Mh... Awesome fits my needs best, with the automatic window managing and other comfort things.

Last edited by CuleX (2007-11-18 08:34:02)

Board footer