You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-17 21:49:15

Kernal Panic

starting fusion-icon on startup

Now before the whole Google/wiki it noob (don't know if you do that here but it seems to be a trait of the internet.) I have tried editing my rc.conf with fusion-icon in the daemons section which dosen't work. I have tried adding it to my gnome sessions but it seems to disappear when I look back at the settings, more importantly it doesn't work. I have tried adding "&& fusion-icon" to the end of my default run level in inittab but that dosent work neither. All of this leads me to believe that there is some kind of problem with loading it up this early on. I do see an error at startup; which i cannot read because its too fast, and it works if i launch it via terminal. So I was wondering if there is a way to read the startup text from a log or whatever(I have tried everything.log) or you have a straight out solution if so i would be eternally grateful. thanks smile I need to learn to paragraph as well sorry.

#2 2007-11-17 22:07:56

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: starting fusion-icon on startup

Kernal Panic wrote:

Now before the whole Google/wiki it noob (don't know if you do that here but it seems to be a trait of the internet.) I have tried editing my rc.conf with fusion-icon in the daemons section which dosen't work. I have tried adding it to my gnome sessions but it seems to disappear when I look back at the settings, more importantly it doesn't work. I have tried adding "&& fusion-icon" to the end of my default run level in inittab but that dosent work neither. All of this leads me to believe that there is some kind of problem with loading it up this early on. I do see an error at startup; which i cannot read because its too fast, and it works if i launch it via terminal. So I was wondering if there is a way to read the startup text from a log or whatever(I have tried everything.log) or you have a straight out solution if so i would be eternally grateful. thanks smile I need to learn to paragraph as well sorry.

Here's how to read the bootup terminal output before login:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pos … ot_Process
The DAEMONS line in rc.conf is only for daemons.
Are you trying to start fusion-icon when you log into your X environment? I don't use GNOME, but this can be achieved with a simple script in .kde/Autostart...GNOME must have something similar.

Last edited by Misfit138 (2007-11-17 22:10:08)

#3 2007-11-18 07:12:19

mivo

In Gnome, go to System -> Preferences -> Sessions, click "Add" in "Startup Programs", and supply fusion-icon as command. That should do the trick. smile See also the Compiz-Fusion entry in the Wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compiz-Fusion

Actually, you said you already tried this (oops!). Did you try to run it manually to see if that works? (see the Wiki entry)

Last edited by mivo (2007-11-18 07:15:03)

#4 2007-11-18 14:27:25

Kernal Panic

Yes when I run fusion-icon from terminal it works, so basically I need something to start it up like at the end of all the automatically loaded things with the appropriate priveledges. I've tried editing default.session just recently to no avail. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kernal Panic (2007-11-18 14:28:06)

#5 2008-07-26 19:18:56

windowbreaker

Kernal Panic wrote:

Yes when I run fusion-icon from terminal it works, so basically I need something to start it up like at the end of all the automatically loaded things with the appropriate priveledges. I've tried editing default.session just recently to no avail. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

I'm having the same problem.  When I add it as a startup entry in the Preferences -> Sessions, it won't start.  But when I manually run 'fusion-icon' from a terminal, it loads.  Ideas?

Board footer