You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-17 20:51:57

gid13

qemu

It's a VMWare-like emulator that I'd be curious to try out.

And while I'm begging, if anyone wants to do Azureus, that'd be cool. smile

Thanks to anyone listening/helping/etc. smile

#2 2004-11-17 18:10:19

jochen

Re: qemu

Here's a PKGBUILD for qemu 0.6.1

pkgname=qemu
pkgver=0.6.1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="QEMU is a FAST! processor emulator using dynamic translation to achieve good emulation speed."
url="http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/"
source=(http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=('f1b5e103321832d2786dd4110f6c8ae4')
depends=('sdl')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr --target-list=i386-softmmu
  make || return 1
  sed -i s%/usr/%$startdir/pkg/usr/% config-host.mak
  make prefix=$startdir/pkg/usr install
}

#3 2004-12-27 16:02:06

vicious

I have set up a little HOWTO http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/qemu . You can find some useful information about installing Windows 9x and 2000 under qemu.

Please fix all the spelling/gramar errors you find.

#4 2004-12-28 00:47:10

Cotton

shlo has posted a PKGBUILD for Azureus here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … s&start=15

I believe you only need to alter the version number to make it current.

#5 2004-12-28 00:57:53

dp
Website

can someone post a screenshot of ms-office running on it under arch?

i'm running windoze apps from the other partition using wine and it is slow and sometimes buggy, but works. is qemu in a way better than my actual situation?

also, i don't have a windoze installation cd but some recovery cd's for my laptop (it came already contaminated with winXP) and i only installed ms-office additionally (from cd). will this be a problem using qemu? is it possible to boot e.g. another partition with qemu?

thanx in advance

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#6 2004-12-28 12:00:11

vicious

dp wrote:

can someone post a screenshot of ms-office running on it under arch?

Here it is:
qemu1fi.th.png
I hope you don't mind it's in Polish.

dp wrote:

i'm running windoze apps from the other partition using wine and it is slow and sometimes buggy, but works. is qemu in a way better than my actual situation?

It depends. First of all, qemu is a cpu emulator, so the execution speed is slower than native (but I guess it's not very bad - at least 25%). WINE is not an emulator, so the speed should be comparable to native Windows. The problem is that wine's Xlib code is quite slow and not exact. This is what probably makes you think it's slow and buggy. I like qemu because it gives me perfect (pixel-exact) layout under MS-Word, so I don't have to worry that my documents will look different on other machines. The slowdown in qemu (unlike wine) is systematic and it's developers really want to make it as fast as possible.
A lot depends on what software you are going to use. If it's just MS-Office, then I think qemu is better. But if you want to run mingw's GCC or games like Half-life then wine is better.
I find qemu much more stable and predictable than wine.

dp wrote:

also, i don't have a windoze installation cd but some recovery cd's for my laptop (it came already contaminated with winXP) and i only installed ms-office additionally (from cd). will this be a problem using qemu? is it possible to boot e.g. another partition with qemu?

I have never seen laptop's recover cd, so I can't really help here. But from my experience I can tell you that it is not a good idea to use preinstalled Windows partition with WINE. You should create a fake windows drive in your home directory and install software there (wine does this automatically). With WINE having only a recovery CD is not an issue, because wine doesn't need Windows.
It is possible to boot physical harddisks with qemu. If Windows is on your C drive, then you could just try running qemu with command "qemu -hda /dev/hda" (note: not /dev/hda1, qemu need a DISK image, not a partition image).
However, the problem is the hardware - QEMU emulates it's own hardware (Cirrus graphics card, NE2000 NIC, SB16 sound card). I don't know how Windows behaves if you suddenly change all the hardware. Perhaps you would need to reconfigure everything each time you change between native/emulation. If you want, try it yourself and post results here. And don't blame me if this messes up your system completely.

Board footer