You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-21 08:51:14

Birdman

Root filesystem cannot be detected

I ran a kernel upgrade last night (did previous one about 10 days ago and I am therefore pretty well up to date) and upon reboot got a kernel panic. I used the arch rescue disk and chroot to reverse all of the previoulsy upgraded packaged to their previous version:

klibc, klib-extras, klib-udev, klibc-module, mkinitcpio and kernel26.

The error that I am now getting is:

Error: Failed to parse block device name '/dev/disk/by-label/root'
Error: Root filesystem cannot be detected

Any ideas on how to resolve this one?

Thanks.

#2 2007-11-21 10:33:48

augegr

Re: Root filesystem cannot be detected

Boot with live cd.
mount your root partition somewhere, lets say /mnt/archroot

edit your /mnt/archroot/etc/mkinitcpio.conf and make sure the options there fit your needs.
chroot in your old root and do:
pacman -Sy kernel26
update anyway? >> YES

Last edited by augegr (2007-11-21 10:34:40)

#3 2007-11-21 16:00:20

Birdman

Re: Root filesystem cannot be detected

augegr,

Thanks for your tip. I have followed your instructions and have had limited success. I used pacman from chroot to reinstall the latest kernel and mkinitcpio (plus deps). On reboot I received the same error as noted above. When using the fallback option my system loads to the kdm screen. When I attempt to login it doesn't go anywhere i.e. just the arch splash screen. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't work, neither does Ctrl-Alt-F1 to login at a shell. Is the persistant device labelling causing an extra stumbling block here seeing as it can't find the root filesystem? I could go in via the rescue disk and edit the /etc/fstab? But clearly this is not an issue under fallback as it can find its way to the root filesystem!

Last edited by Birdman (2007-11-21 16:01:02)

Board footer