You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-21 22:01:06

stationcharlie

GRUB issues

So I just finished the installation outlined in the guide from the wiki, but I've hit some trouble in getting GRUB to boot. In the final step of installing the bootloader, I went through and uncommented the Windows item but I'm afraid I may have left the entries for Arch as hd0,0 and soforth, which I think is wrong as I'm using a SCSI drive with sda prefixes. I set up a /boot partition in sda3 while my swap is in sda2 and my Windows partition is in sda1. I think I installed the bootloader into sda3. When I start GRUB, I get "GRUB Loading stage1.5." then "GRUB loading, please wait..." "Error 15" with the cursor on the next line. Can I edit my menu.lst file in /boot/grub and how? Reloading the install CD seems to give me a shell prompt, but when I use nano to edit the menu.lst file, it doesn't look like the one I (mis)configured during the install, so I'm guessing it's getting that from somewhere on the CD. Sad to have a computer that won't boot sad Thanks for anyone's help in advance.

#2 2007-11-21 22:14:58

stationcharlie

Re: GRUB issues

I just managed to boot into my root partition with the CD. In looking at the menu.lst file, right now the entries are as such:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root (hd0,2)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda5 ro
initrd /kernel26.img

# (1) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux Fallback
root (hd0,2)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda5 ro
initrd /kernel26-fallback.img

# (1) Windows
title Windows XP Pro
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

so that's it. I'm going to try to comment out the Windows stuff and see if that allows me to start. sda5 is my / partition, by the way.

#3 2007-11-21 22:15:25

kumico
Website

Re: GRUB issues

reboot the install cd
re-mount proper root filesystem,, plus boot directory
,, assuming arch is on sda5
mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/boot
/arch/setup and reinstall grub ,,
install it to the mbr;; so chose sda
then you will be prompted for the root, chose sda3 modify the config as needed and it should install just fine

Board footer