You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-22 11:48:18

voodoo.child

links/lynx/w3m at instalation

after I booted my the instalation cd three weeks ago I realized that I didn't know how to use pacman, and the manual was not so good for somebody who didn't use pacman before. since my only computer was the one i was installing archlinux I found my self in a big problem. I tried searching the internet but no luck because I had no text browser (links/lynx/w3m). finally i got around downloading webpages from archlinux's wiki using wget and eye-parsing the html code.

i suggest a small text browser should be included in core repository and it should be available at instalation time.

Last edited by voodoo.child (2007-11-22 11:49:12)

--
Alexandru

#2 2007-11-22 12:19:36

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: links/lynx/w3m at instalation

I thought the install CD did have a text based browser on it...  Perhaps I'm thinking of the LFS CD.

Anyway, how would you recommend improving the pacman manual (man pages I'm assuming).  That would obviously be the best solution.

#3 2007-11-22 12:29:30

voodoo.child

I didn't know what to do first. It took me a while until I realized that I need to run "pacman -Sy" in order to dowload the list of packages. Some examples are needed in pacman manual page. Also on the installation cd there should be a text file explaining the first steps in installing archlinux, and of course the file should be pointed to by the welcoming message that you get when you open your console.

--
Alexandru

#4 2007-11-22 13:17:34

ndlarsen

Adding a text based browser on the install iso have already been suggested here in post 110, if it has been done I do not know, though - have not used an install cd for a while.
The install guide and the wiki are excellent sources of information and are linked at the main site. Obtaining information is mandatory prior to installation of a Linux based system.

I made it long
as I lacked the time to make it short...

#5 2007-11-23 02:27:30

voodoo.child

ndlarsen wrote:

The install guide and the wiki are excellent sources of information and are linked at the main site. Obtaining information is mandatory prior to installation of a Linux based system.

Are these files on cd? I guess not. Besides, I did read the installation guide and how to use pacman, but I could not remember too many things. Moreover, having a web browser can prove sometimes a very good tool (what if something is not working well and you require some help which you can get by reading wiki or forum). Once I've managed to download links my installation process went pretty good.

--
Alexandru

Board footer