You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-25 12:03:33

sm4tik
Website

SLiM issue(s?)

Actually I'm having issues with starting jackd as non-root with realtime capabilities  (-R) enabled. Finally I was lucky enough to find this post, but the problem got a bit more confusing after that. How does a login manager affect the realtime capabilities of jackd? A fast workaround is to use another manager to login, but instead, I'd like an answer not just aworkaround.

How does slim _really_ differ from the others? What does it do, or in this case what doesn't it do the others do. Are there other similar issues when using it, or is this jackd problem just something that happens to be the way it is. Is it a permission problem, should there be something extra started with slim or at login to make things work? As the topic of the linked post says, even when rules.conf is set properly it doesn't work, and later in the thread there is a mention of it possibly being a PAM realted thing.

So maybe if someone can explain why does it matter how you login. Shouldn't jackd -R work even when not logged in to X at all and how to make sure everything KDM or GDM loads (in this case realted to realtime capabilities of jack as a non-root [which is possible because of PAM]) are also loaded when using SLiM or (even worse wink ) just a console login?

If this doesn't make any sense, please let me know and I'll try to make things clearer..

Thanks in advance!

Board footer