You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-26 19:48:44

limpio
Member
Registered: 2005-12-31
Posts: 52

en_US-ISO.8859-15

I need the locale en_US-ISO.8859-15 in order to read in English, German, Spanish and be able to read the different tildes, accents, and letters. Ex: campeón, Iñaque, güero etc. I'm writing from my box at work with Debian.

Would it ever be added to the core apps during installation?

Last edited by limpio (2007-11-26 19:50:23)

Offline

#2 2007-11-26 22:11:54

Bestiapeluda
Member
From: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Registered: 2007-10-16
Posts: 180

Re: en_US-ISO.8859-15

I need that locale too please.

Thank you in advance.

Offline

#3 2007-11-26 22:17:20

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2006-11-26
Posts: 5,819

Re: en_US-ISO.8859-15

Did you guys consider setting up your system like it should?

In other words: read the Arch documentation on setting up your system.


Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Offline

#4 2007-11-27 09:11:13

fede
Member
Registered: 2007-06-29
Posts: 118

Offline

#5 2007-11-27 15:36:26

limpio
Member
Registered: 2005-12-31
Posts: 52

Re: en_US-ISO.8859-15

Reading and linking to answers that do not apply, does not help at all. How can you locale.gen when there is no specific locale (en_US-ISO.8859-15) to generate?

The problem is that the list of locales DOES NOT include  en_US-ISO.8859-15
get it? BTW, i do know how to config my system, so mode down your tone!

Last edited by limpio (2007-11-27 15:37:14)

Offline

#6 2007-11-27 15:47:49

wuischke
Member
From: Suisse Romande
Registered: 2007-01-06
Posts: 630

Re: en_US-ISO.8859-15

Please be nice and polite, guys.

Anyway, I recommend you using en_US-UTF-8 and you'll be able to display all different kind of characters. Unless there's a specific reason for using iso 8859-15, then please explain it to me. I'm using Unicode and I can read and write in Spanish, French, Portuguese and German without problems.

Offline

#7 2007-11-27 17:34:47

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2006-11-26
Posts: 5,819

Re: en_US-ISO.8859-15

limpio wrote:

Reading and linking to answers that do not apply, does not help at all. How can you locale.gen when there is no specific locale (en_US-ISO.8859-15) to generate?

The problem is that the list of locales DOES NOT include  en_US-ISO.8859-15
get it? BTW, i do know how to config my system, so mode down your tone!

I stand corrected. If you don't mind me asking, why posting this in the newbie corner? That only suggests you don't know how to config your system. Which in turn leads people to presume things about your knowledge level. So: don't blame us.

Googling on the specific locale shows even Debian has problems with it. Is there any reason why you need your system in English? Your nick seems to suggest it's not your native language.


Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Offline

#8 2007-11-28 00:03:25

limpio
Member
Registered: 2005-12-31
Posts: 52

Re: en_US-ISO.8859-15

wuischke wrote:

Please be nice and polite, guys.

Anyway, I recommend you using en_US-UTF-8 and you'll be able to display all different kind of characters. Unless there's a specific reason for using iso 8859-15, then please explain it to me. I'm using Unicode and I can read and write in Spanish, French, Portuguese and German without problems.

Sorry, i lost it. Apologies smile
Arch comes by default with en_US-UTF-8, it doesn't work for me, i can't write or read in Spanish and German, what i get is jibberish.

Last edited by limpio (2007-11-28 00:04:02)

Offline

#9 2007-11-28 00:13:00

limpio
Member
Registered: 2005-12-31
Posts: 52

Re: en_US-ISO.8859-15

B wrote:

I stand corrected. If you don't mind me asking, why posting this in the newbie corner? That only suggests you don't know how to config your system. Which in turn leads people to presume things about your knowledge level. So: don't blame us.

I posted here because i'm a newbie with Arch. And even if i were a total newbie, you shouldn't assume, you should try to help the newbie, and i do blame you for your arrogant manners.

Every time you 'assume', you make an ass of you and me.

Googling on the specific locale shows even Debian has problems with it. Is there any reason why you need your system in English? Your nick seems to suggest it's not your native language.

That's not true, Debian has three en_US locales, no problems ever for me.
If you need to know, i need the system in English because there are other users who only speak English.

Back to my question, are there any plans to include the above mentioned locale in the near future?

Offline

#10 2007-11-28 14:24:02

wuischke
Member
From: Suisse Romande
Registered: 2007-01-06
Posts: 630

Re: en_US-ISO.8859-15

limpio: I think the right way of solving this issue would be to solve your problems with unicode, so I would try to do some tests in this regard.

Could you please tell us how the following will be display for you? Maybe include a screenshot?

mañana você Häuser déjà 谢谢

And just to check, would you kindly post the output of echo $LANG and locale -a as well?

Offline

#11 2007-11-28 15:48:55

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2006-11-26
Posts: 5,819

Re: en_US-ISO.8859-15

limpio wrote:
B wrote:

I stand corrected. If you don't mind me asking, why posting this in the newbie corner? That only suggests you don't know how to config your system. Which in turn leads people to presume things about your knowledge level. So: don't blame us.

I posted here because i'm a newbie with Arch. And even if i were a total newbie, you shouldn't assume, you should try to help the newbie, and i do blame you for your arrogant manners.

Every time you 'assume', you make an ass of you and me.

You make an arse out of yourself by expecting people to know what you think while not telling even half of the problem. One sees lots of people in here jumping up and down 'yay I installed Arch' while they rushed through the installer pressing "yes" and "Enter". And lots of them wind up with a system that hasn't set _their_ locale. That's often what it boils down to.

You weren't clear at all on what you already did (or did not) try - for example, you did try it on Arch, but it did not work, which you did not mention. So one can only assume - if you leave too much room for interpretation, that's what people do. It's just probability.


Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Offline

#12 2007-11-28 16:37:40

fwojciec
Member
Registered: 2007-05-20
Posts: 1,411

Re: en_US-ISO.8859-15

There is an option for en_US-ISO.8859-15 in my locale.gen file - I needed to use the pacman updated version of the file (/etc/locale.gen.pacnew) but it's there.

Offline

#13 2007-11-28 17:43:24

limpio
Member
Registered: 2005-12-31
Posts: 52

Re: en_US-ISO.8859-15

Thanks pal, that's what i needed to know.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB