You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-06 17:28:06

Kabi

fvwm menu not working

Im new to arch and to fvwm but want to learn..

When I have been logged in to fvwm for more than 10 minutes or so there is no longer a menu when i click the screen.
I have installed the stable version of fvwm and done no configuration yet.

Any idea where or what I should look for?

#2 2007-12-06 21:39:51

RobbeR49

Re: fvwm menu not working

I would guess that it's your NumLock or CapsLock key that is disabling it, because they are treated as modifiers in FVWM.

The 1st question on the FVWM faq is dedicated to this because it's asked so much: http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/faq/#0.1

#3 2007-12-06 21:42:41

pressh
Developer/TU

with stable you mean the 2.4.* series ?

If so, I really suggest you take a look at fvwm-devel in unstable, or fvwm-patched in the AUR (the patched version has some nice extra features). Both are really stable.
About your problem I can't tell without any error messages. Not many people do use the 2.4 series anymore.

If you want to stay with the 2.4 series, or still experience the same problem with the 2.5 series, can you create (or use someone elses) a simple config and see if the problem remains. I will be happy to look through it (or test it).

ps. welcome to arch smile

[edit]
@RobbeR49: wouldn't IgnoreModifiers L25 be in the standard config ?

[edit2]
well probably not tongue

Last edited by pressh (2007-12-06 21:46:55)

#4 2007-12-06 21:58:47

RobbeR49

I think the best way is probably just to set up your config so your bindings work with any of the modifiers, as mentioned at the bottom of question 5.5 http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/faq/#5.5

and I would agree using fvwm-devel is a good idea, even though it is labeled "unstable" I never had any problems whatsoever.

#5 2007-12-07 00:20:55

Kabi

Thanks for the replies!
Yes I did press numlock, so that was probably what caused the problem, since it is also mentioned at fvwm.
I will read that faq.
I will also use the the 2.5 instead as you all suggest. Since I have only experience with KDE, Gnome and Fluxbox, maybe it will take me some time to understand how to get the most out of fvwm. But I will read their docs and guides since I have heard so much good about it and because I like the idea of having to configure it through text files, since it will force me to learn something,

#6 2007-12-15 19:02:32

sm4tik
Website

Kabi wrote:

Thanks for the replies!
Yes I did press numlock, so that was probably what caused the problem, since it is also mentioned at fvwm.
I will read that faq.
I will also use the the 2.5 instead as you all suggest. Since I have only experience with KDE, Gnome and Fluxbox, maybe it will take me some time to understand how to get the most out of fvwm. But I will read their docs and guides since I have heard so much good about it and because I like the idea of having to configure it through text files, since it will force me to learn something,

Sounds like me a year or so ago and of course still learning something new each day. smile It truely will take some time to know wht to look for when you want something specific, but I'd suggest browsing and possibly registering also to the fvwm forum, nice people and really fast answers too! The other comuunity I wouldn't want to leave..
Happy configuring!
Oh, and here's a nice little tutorial that helped me to get started..

Last edited by sm4tik (2007-12-15 19:03:11)

Board footer