You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-08 09:32:37

awagner

[Solved] boot hangs on mounting local filesystems

Hi all,
on booting today, my system won't start up any longer. It hangs on mounting local filesystems (after having checked them). I booted to the rescue CD and from there mounting root did work, as did fsck'ing all filesystems. Being there, I commented out FAT and webdav filesysems so that only ext3 root, ext2 home/boot and virtual fs like /proc and so remain in fstab. Reboot without CD, still the same problem. I have waited several minutes but no progress.

Actually I am not sure that this is an upgrade issue, but I before I shut it down yesterday evening I had it running for one day only and have done a system upgrade (including a kernel upgrade) in that time.

Any idea what I could check?

TIA,
Andreas

Last edited by awagner (2007-12-08 20:16:25)

#2 2007-12-08 18:29:55

byte

Re: [Solved] boot hangs on mounting local filesystems

After the latest (.8 -> .9) kernel upgrade I also had issues with one machine.
Even though ide controller, lvm setup and jfs root fs were detected alright in the initramsfs stage, everything went haywire after loading init and udev... I had almost nothing in /dev after it finally gave me a prompt (after failing the filesystem check; no wonder without any /dev/sda devices).
After much testing I got it fixed by rebuilding my fairly minimal initcpio image, seems like simply adding the filesystem hook after lvm2 did the trick.

#3 2007-12-08 19:34:10

awagner

Thanks for the help.
Right now I'Ve found out that I am able to boot the fallback image (but with LOTS of errors ... and no network). I've just redownloaded everything I need to compile another kernel in windows -- and coming to think of it, will try to download some kernel package, too, so I will have a go later tonight. First with new initcpio (I think I have no lvm2 at all in there), then with additional kernel26 package and if that fails build a new kernel from PKGBUILD.

Will keep you posted...

BTW, I'm with x86_64. I've seen another thread about it, will have to study it more thoroughly...

Last edited by awagner (2007-12-08 19:34:54)

#4 2007-12-08 20:16:09

awagner

byte, you've pointed me to the right thing. But of course it was my bad: Recently I had deleted everything kamikaze-kernel-related, including v86d, but I forgot to remove the initcpio hook, so mkinitcpio failed on the recent kernel update and I didn't notice. ...must have ended up with a kernel img that didn't fit the installed kernel... Anyway, now I've removed the hook and all is back to normal.

Thanks a lot.
Andreas

Board footer