You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-09 18:13:00

xnooby2

Backing up desktop settings: light WM vs DE

I'm trying to make a simple desktop, either based on OpenBox or FluxBox.  I will be using various panel, tray, and  icon apps to make the desktop look better.  After doing that work, I plan to automate the backing up of my desktop config files, so I wont have to remake them when I do reinstall or install on another box.  My desire to completely backup my desktop settings is one of the main reasons I want to create my own desktop.  If I have to configure something, I will know I need to backup that configuration.

With desktop managers, like KDE, Gnome, and even XFCE - I have no idea what to backup, or if the config files are even in text format (as opposed to binary).  Is there an easy way to backup the settings for the larger DE's?  DE's are okay, but every manual tweak is a tweak I will have to make again on another install.

Or should I just stick to my original plan, and configure a lean system by hand so I know what to backup?

#2 2007-12-09 18:48:28

buttons

Re: Backing up desktop settings: light WM vs DE

xnooby2 wrote:

Or should I just stick to my original plan, and configure a lean system by hand so I know what to backup?

Yes, although for what it's worth XFCE doesn't have too many config files, either.  Still, any DE tends to have config files that conflict with or can have strange interactions with "normal" config files (see: .Xdefaults).  Personally I think it's less confusing to have all of your config files known to you and hand-edited by you.  That way there aren't any surprises on a new system.

Also, using Hg or git for your dotfiles is a godsend.  You can view them online, only commit the ones you want, and your old config on a new computer is just a repository pull away.

Cthulhu For President!

#3 2007-12-09 22:44:12

Zerathidune

Re: Backing up desktop settings: light WM vs DE

KDE stores all of it's configuration info in ~/.kde

The config files in that directory are indeed in text format. That directory also stores configuration for all kde applications.

I don't use gnome or xfce, so I couldn't tell you what to back up there, though I imagine it's organized in such a way so as not to be difficult.

Board footer