You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-10 02:19:08

justin

Firefox fonts.

I am having trouble getting my fonts in Firefox to look nice. I have attached a screen shot to sum up my problem.

The fonts at the top of the page look great, the others looks terrible.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1430/fontstu1.png

#2 2007-12-10 03:37:15

exiguous

Re: Firefox fonts.

#3 2007-12-10 03:42:01

Korey Kaczynski

I was trying to figure out why you would need tor, but then I saw 4chan and it all made sense.

#4 2007-12-10 04:14:42

justin

exiguous wrote:

I keep looking that over, and am baffled as to what would actually help me. I have both dejavu and bitstream fonts installed. I had Firefox looking nice on a previous install of Arch without using the MS fonts, which I think are rather ugly anyway.

Korey Kaczynski wrote:

I was trying to figure out why you would need tor, but then I saw 4chan and it all made sense.

Haha, to be honest, I've never actually enabled the Tor button, but, ya never know. cool

Last edited by justin (2007-12-10 04:15:38)

#5 2007-12-10 04:45:46

ozar

I really dislike the MS fonts, too.  You can set Firefox in Preferences / Content / Fonts & Colors / Advanced to always use your fonts.  That works for me.

oz

#6 2007-12-10 05:53:52

Gilneas

I wish you could play around with fonts without having to become root or reload X.

Also, I noticed firefox-nightly handles fonts a bit different. I don't know any specifics, but everything somehow looks a lot nicer.

Last edited by Gilneas (2008-01-03 23:18:18)

#7 2007-12-10 06:13:54

justin

Well, I went to play around with choosing my own fonts in Firefox. I still have the 'Let web pages use their own fonts' option checked, but it seems simply messing with the font settings fixed it. Strange...

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/5130/fontsod0.png

Last edited by justin (2007-12-10 06:15:38)

#8 2007-12-10 12:20:03

abstracity

justin wrote:

Well, I went to play around with choosing my own fonts in Firefox. I still have the 'Let web pages use their own fonts' option checked, but it seems simply messing with the font settings fixed it. Strange...

Maybe a bad value in one of the configuration files got overwritten with the correct value while you were messing with the options.

Without error there can be no brilliancy. ― Emanuel Lasker

#9 2007-12-10 12:49:20

jacko

Every time I install ms fonts my desktop goes to unreadable too. I personally hate microsoft anything and wish there was a way to change the font for the wbepage only if the webpage specified a ms font to be used. Then I would want my default font used instead.

Anyone know how to do this? or could point me in the right direction of how to accomplish it?

#10 2007-12-10 13:11:43

abstracity

jacko wrote:

Every time I install ms fonts my desktop goes to unreadable too. I personally hate microsoft anything and wish there was a way to change the font for the wbepage only if the webpage specified a ms font to be used. Then I would want my default font used instead.

Let me get this straight, you never want a Microsoft font to be the font on a web page, and instead always want your own?  What browser are you using?  If you are using Firefox, then you will want to go to Edit > Preferences > Content > Fonts & Colors > Advanced, change the default fonts to the ones you like, and un-check  "Allow pages to choose their own fonts . . . ."  If you are using Opera, then you may have to reload your font cache with "fc-cache -f" without the Microsoft TTF files in "/usr/share/fonts/", as Opera chooses by default to load Microsoft fonts over any other personally selected font.

Without error there can be no brilliancy. ― Emanuel Lasker

#11 2007-12-10 13:21:15

flx

I personally hate microsoft anything and wish there was a way to change the font for the wbepage only if the webpage specified a ms font to be used.

Your problem is probably the Tahoma font, which for some reason is utterly broken on Linux.
There's a solution here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … ght=tahoma

Microsoft fonts look gorgeous when using freetype2's bytecode-interpreter instead of the crappy autohinter, btw.

#12 2007-12-10 18:05:37

justin

flx wrote:

I personally hate microsoft anything and wish there was a way to change the font for the wbepage only if the webpage specified a ms font to be used.

Your problem is probably the Tahoma font, which for some reason is utterly broken on Linux.
There's a solution here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … ght=tahoma

Microsoft fonts look gorgeous when using freetype2's bytecode-interpreter instead of the crappy autohinter, btw.

How would I go about using the bytecode-interpreter? The wiki implies that it's used by default.

EDIT: I installed the MS fonts, and have Tahoma being replaced with Bitstream Vera Sans, and that's working rather nicely. smile

Last edited by justin (2007-12-10 18:15:18)

#13 2007-12-11 06:05:27

peets
Website

I just had the same problem and solution. For some reason, by default my default FF fonts were "Times" and "Helvetica" for serif/sans-serif respectively. I guess these fonts come in the xorg package. The only extra fonts I added  consciously were bitstream-vera (so pretty!) and terminus (so useful!). We should put some pressure on the x.org team to use bitsream-vera fonts as a default! And if they don't want to, we'll write open letters and petitions... big_smile

#14 2007-12-11 21:42:11

mirosol

Hi.
I'm also having trouble with firefox fonts. They have been looking like s**t for ages. Here's what happened reacently and why i'm writing...

Well. I have been on Arch for just few months now and i've been using kdemod as desktop. Couple weeks ago i decided to try gnome, and for some time i liked it, but eventually changed back to kdemod. In gnome, as in kde, firefox fonts in toolbars look horrible. Texts in any webpage are fine. Here's a screenshot screenhot of what i mean.. In background there's Konqueror, in middle Firefox/Bon Echo and OOOWriter in foreground to represent what other gtk-natives look like here.

Problem was solved when i came back to clean kdemod, but when firefox was updated few days ago, the problem came back.

I've been looking for solution everywhere. Even with command "kdesu -u OtherUserHere -c firefox" toolbars still look like s**t. So problem must rather be within firefox's own settings than in user's settings.

And yes. I've tried to give it a go with about:config with no results...

If anyone has same symptoms, or cure please let me know.

GaragePunkRock'n'Roll!!!

#15 2007-12-11 23:30:35

lenni

mirosol, I had the same problem. Suddenly Firefox stopped obeying GNOME system font settings (which it does on many other distros). I had to synch it manually using the userChrome.css file. Instructions are here:

http://www.geocities.com/pratiksolanki/userChrome.html

After re-installing Arch it was fine again. However, now I'm playing with FF 3 beta and whilst it does use the same app font than the rest of GNOME the subpixel rendering is slightly different. I'm probably a bit fussy when it comes to subpixel rendering 'coz I'm a complete sucker for that xft-lcd and cairo-lcd stuff. Nevertheless, does anyone know how to fix this? Maybe I have to apply a patch before building FF3.

#16 2007-12-12 00:04:23

mirosol

lenni. Thank you. With capital T & Y.

Seems like there's more than 100 ways to get your browser to look crappy, but only few good solutions to get it working properly. Now i only need to fix userChrome.css to do things my way. Anyway, this seems to be only way to fix this problem. And it works. Thank you again.

And what comes to FF3... I'm still trying to fight it out with 2...

Last edited by mirosol (2007-12-12 00:05:57)

GaragePunkRock'n'Roll!!!

Board footer