You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-14 18:27:49

kiguru

pacman related questions

hi guys
my first question is how i can limite pacman to use only 10kb instead of all bandwidth. so that i can browse while i m upgrading/downloading packages.
and second is if i m downloading gnome-extra package which is meta package it also downloads gnome-games which i dont want to
download.so is there any way i can subtract gnome-games from gnome-extra meta pckage list so that it couldnot be downloaded or installed.

thanx in advance

#2 2007-12-14 20:24:58

shining
Pacman Developer

Re: pacman related questions

kiguru wrote:

hi guys
my first question is how i can limite pacman to use only 10kb instead of all bandwidth. so that i can browse while i m upgrading/downloading packages.

IIRC, there is a general solution to do this, some kind of wrapper that allow you to limit the network rate of any app.
But otherwise, you can tell pacman to use wget for example, see this :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Imp … Using_wget
Then just use the wget option for limiting rate. (man wget, /rate)
(I never tried this, but I think it could work).

and second is if i m downloading gnome-extra package which is meta package it also downloads gnome-games which i dont want to
download.so is there any way i can subtract gnome-games from gnome-extra meta pckage list so that it couldnot be downloaded or installed.

This is on my pacman TODO list.
Make pacman -S gnome-extra --ignore gnome-games work.
--ignore doesn't work currently in this situation sad

More infos in this thread : http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacm … 10500.html

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#3 2007-12-15 13:23:16

alex_anthony

gnome-extra is a group, so when at first it asks you would you like to install whole content, say no (n) and then it will ask you in turn which packages to install. just say no to gnome games

#4 2007-12-15 13:52:41

shining
Pacman Developer

alex_anthony wrote:

gnome-extra is a group, so when at first it asks you would you like to install whole content, say no (n) and then it will ask you in turn which packages to install. just say no to gnome games

Indeed, that's a possibility. However, I show in my post on the ML that this is a real PITA in my opinion.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#5 2007-12-15 15:07:50

nj

If you don't like changing the XferCommand, you can try running trickle which is in community.

sudo trickle -d 10 pacman -Su

#6 2007-12-15 15:29:35

shining
Pacman Developer

nj wrote:

If you don't like changing the XferCommand, you can try running trickle which is in community.

sudo trickle -d 10 pacman -Su

Yes, that's the tool I used in the past and mentioned above, thanks.

Board footer