You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-16 02:48:46

barebones

Strange audio problem

Hello everybody,
I've been having trouble getting sound set up on my laptop and I've found a workaround to get it working but it would be nice to find an easier way, heres the (pretty unusual) way I get sound working:

I have a intel-hda card so I have the following modules line in rc.conf:

MODULES=(tg3 bcm43xx snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-hda-intel soundcore)

when the laptop first starts up, my headphones work but the speakers don't. I found on a couple of websites that if I add this line:

options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 position_fix=0  model=3stack

to /etc/modprobe.conf that it would get the sound working. When I add it, then to

modprobe -r snd-hda-intel
modprobe snd-hda-intel

it doesn't help, but if I uncomment the above mentioned line then do the modprobe stuff again, then turn up the levels with alsamixer, the sound works.

Does anybody have any idea why the module doesn't work on start up but will after being replaced and loaded again? Also, just simply unloading and then loading the module again won't work, which is very strange. I was thinking of just adding this whole routine to a startup script, but I'm not sure how to deal with the commenting/uncommenting part. Any ideas?

Board footer