You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-16 10:35:57

ManDay

Using one partition for Linux-, Win.-Swap and Win-Tmp atst?

I think I will keep Windows for the first time I'm going to install Arch. I'm looking for a way to set up one single Partition for usage as Swap or /var/tmp under Linux and at the same time as "rather regular" partition (intended to be one to hold the Windows-Swapfile plus the Windows-TMP-Folder) under Windows.

As regards the usage of the partition as /var/tmp under Linux: I don't explicitly wish to retain data which has been dropped in /var/tmp, therefore I don't care whether it gets lost when booting to another OS. Vice versa: There are absolutly no needs to preserve data which has been stored under %TMP% in Windows. Hence, I wouldn't care if those get lost owing to a change from NTFS to ext3.

Can you think of any way to achive something at least similar?

#2 2007-12-16 15:35:37

Jack B
Website

Re: Using one partition for Linux-, Win.-Swap and Win-Tmp atst?

hmmm. Long time. no reply.

Disclaimer: I have no real idea how Linux and Windows swap works, not in any detail anyway.  This idea is to be used at your own risk, and after making appropriate backups.

Linux uses a partition type swp by default for swap partitions, changing this to NTFS for windows would be a pain, as you would have to reformat at every boot.
It is possible to use a swap file instead under linux, by mounting a file as swap,  I've seen it for Red Hat. It may be less efficient than a swap partition though.

If you did this, on an ext3 partition, and installed the IFS drivers under windows I guess you could then use this partition all the time.  You might then need a script to create & delete the swap files needed by each operating system, which would have to be executed by the operating system on boot before mounting the swap.

I can see this falling flat if the IFS drivers don't come up under windows before it tries to mount it's swap file, or if it doesn't like swapping to ext3, or a host of other reasons. The only way to find out is probably to try it... Have fun!

HTH

Jack

Last edited by Jack B (2007-12-16 15:37:04)

#3 2007-12-16 15:53:00

Jack B
Website

Re: Using one partition for Linux-, Win.-Swap and Win-Tmp atst?

Actually, thinking about it it may be much easier to use the partition for /var/tmp/, not swap.   This should be as simple as adding one line to fstab, and maybe adding something in at shutdown to rm -rf /var/tmp/* (in order to ensure the partition doesn't get full of old stuff).
I'm assuming /var/tmp can live on a different partition OK, I see no reason why not, but I'm not exactly an experienced Linux user.

Board footer