You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-16 22:05:50

jordoex

Transfering from ubuntu

I'm planning on trasferring to arch from ubuntu once kde4 comes out...

What do I need to know?

My main concerns are kde4 and wireless(using ndiswrapper), and the intricacies of 'pacman'.  It also seems that your documentation (wiki) is much nice than ubuntu's.  Also, I'm especially lazy and don't want to have to spend too much time configuring.

#2 2007-12-16 22:19:22

Ashren
Website

Re: Transfering from ubuntu

jordoex wrote:

Also, I'm especially lazy and don't want to have to spend too much time configuring.

I'm sorry to say that you perhaps have come to wrong place then. Arch needs much more configuring to get up and running compared to Ubuntu, but you will probably be much more content with your system when finished. A system that is lean, fast and unobtrusive. Because of the simple way Arch is configured (through well-commented textfiles), it's more of a learning experience than a hassle.

Read the Arch Beginners Guide, it's very good.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

#3 2007-12-16 23:05:10

jordoex

The key is too much time; with ubuntu, I'd spend some time, but it'd end up being futile, and I'd have to revert to default in the end.  I'm fine with installing everything by hand, as long as it works.

#4 2007-12-16 23:16:30

skottish
Forum Fellow

jordoex wrote:

The key is too much time; with ubuntu, I'd spend some time, but it'd end up being futile, and I'd have to revert to default in the end.  I'm fine with installing everything by hand, as long as it works.

You'll spend more time up front with Arch, that's true. Later on I think that you'll find Arch to be much more efficient than any of the "hand holding" distros.

#5 2007-12-17 00:42:49

jacko

arch is a pain in the ass to get configured, especially for someone switching from windows > ubuntu > arch, like I was. But, since that time I find arch much more to my liking since I was able to configure every last part exactly how I liked it. This was the best part about arch and the wiki is the first place u should stop and read as much as you can.

#6 2007-12-17 01:08:49

ozar

jordoex wrote:

I'm planning on trasferring to arch from ubuntu once kde4 comes out...

What do I need to know?

If you aren't into working with the command line, I'd recommend staying clear of Arch.

If you like the command line, go for it!

oz

#7 2007-12-17 02:15:02

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

jordoex wrote:

What do I need to know?

Everything you need to know is here : http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

wink

#8 2007-12-17 02:51:44

x0r

Good luck jordoex on your Archlinux adventures. You'll learn quite a bit. I went from slackware to gentoo, to fedora, ubuntu a little bit, and now I'm on arch. I like the KISS principle of slackware, but pacman adds dependency manangement, which is why i like arch. Plus, I really like the arch community and the concept of the AUR.

#9 2007-12-17 15:17:42

kazuya

I am a long time Ubuntu user and still is to some extent. Archlinux makes you appreciate what they have done at Ubuntu and some of the hand dolding distros. However, archlinux with a little patienece on your part can really enlighten you to a point where you would have a hard time going back to Ubuntu. I just got hooked last week. I have dabbled with it in the past, but as you get familiar with it, it becomes increasingly difficult to go back to the others. I could set arch up for a newbie and they'd never know the difference in ease of use because arch gives you what you want.

It is very simple to work with once you know the basic five or six places where your files or packages reside.. I can see myself learning a whole lot while maintaining a very fast system..

Keep Ubuntu going why you play with arch so as to not make the transition too drastic. There is no synaptic here to show all your installed files via gui.. But where there is a will, there is a way. It may take you a few times of going back and forth before you eventually become comfortable with arch. I used to love PClinux, mepis, ubuntu, then vector linux and zenwalk. Vector linux is the one distro I still run in parallel or dualboot with Arch. I installed arch on one partition, then vector linux on another partition. The VL CD automaticallly aids in restoring your grub or boot manager. Play around with these. I've talked too much.

Opensource; Become a part of it.

#10 2007-12-19 13:47:38

Preacher

You have probably heard
Easy Come, Easy Go
You will find it difficult at first, but once you get over the learning curve, you will be hooked!
I hope you enjoy your stay with Arch

To be a preacher requires two apparently contradictory qualities: confidence and humility.

#11 2007-12-20 10:00:42

alex_anthony

one thing regarding ndiswrapper.
The ndiswrapper packages in the repos are built against a newer kernel than the one from the base CD, so you may need another internet connection to install your first couple of packages.
Other than that, I found ndiswrapper easier on arch. disabling the bcm43xx module was easier than in ubuntu.

Board footer