You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-17 01:37:10

kandrews

wicd keeps giving me an error and does not stop saying it is connectin

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gui.py", line 806, in update_statusbar
    wireless_ip = wireless.GetWirelessIP() #do this so that it doesn't lock up.  don't know how or why this works
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 136, in __call__
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 603, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I keep getting this error and wicd d wont stop "connecting". Also, when I typed the password in wrong for a wireless network, it froze and wouldn't start again. What is up with it? Do I not have it configured right? I don't see other people having these problems with it.

#2 2007-12-17 22:27:06

lenni

Re: wicd keeps giving me an error and does not stop saying it is connectin

Try to set a static IP in wicd. Sometimes it doesn't seem to do DHCP very well.

#3 2007-12-18 20:16:14

benmorgan

Yeah, I am experiencing this problem too... it used to work, and then now it doesn't; so it's all weird. Anyhow, it looks to some extent like it is a problem with the dbus-python part of wicd. Could that be?

A clarification of my similar problem, (which is somewhat common on the internet):

1. Try to connect to WEP network
2. Hangs at "Generating PSK..."
3. If you close it down or exit it, then you have to reboot to bring gui.py back up
4. Wifi-radar works fine though
5. If I start it in a terminal I see exactly what kandrews wrote

If you have any luck, remember to post it here! Thanks.
As for me, I'll keep looking.

#4 2007-12-19 01:00:21

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

stop dbus, wait 5 secs, start dbus, wait 5 secs, start wicd, try again.

Last edited by schivmeister (2007-12-19 01:02:50)

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#5 2007-12-19 02:54:08

shen
Website

I had an issue with wicd and had to install dhcdbd package for dhcp to work properly.

#6 2007-12-19 22:06:42

benmorgan

On an Ubuntu thread there are some interesting observations made concerning this problems:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=417736

One person says that it looks like the code uses the same code to connect to WPA and WEP networks.
Don't know exactly how true this is. By the way, kandrews, if you are desperate, wifi-radar does a pretty
good job of connecting, so you might try it.

Still hoping for a resolution to this problem, but it looks pretty old, so who knows if it'll come any time soon.

#7 2007-12-20 16:17:23

kandrews

Thanks for all the replies!

I think I'm going to follow Ben's suggestion and try wifi-radar. Wicd is just too bizarre. I discovered that it does actually connect my to the internet with WEP encryption even though wicd itself freezes. I also found that if I kill it, then I can't restart it until boot even if I restart dbus. Perhaps there is something else I need to restart?

#8 2007-12-21 18:42:38

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Correct. There is something that needs to be re-started, re-authenticated, re-written, or re-enabled. You must also start wicd daemon after restarting dbus. If still no go, http://wicd.sourceforge.net/phpbb/viewt … 659b4a194e may be of help.

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#9 2007-12-24 10:10:42

benmorgan

The most recent testing version of wicd (version 1.3.8-1) works now for me at least. You might consider trying it perhaps. You'll have to take a second look at all your previous settings however, as mine have changed in the mean time. It's possible however that it only just worked right now... but we'll see what happens.

edit: Yeah, the most recent version (of the time of this edit) works well for me.

Last edited by benmorgan (2007-12-25 19:46:05)

#10 2008-01-28 02:01:28

vistor

I've been using wicd for some time with great success with both WPA and WEP networks but a few days ago, all of a sudden I ran into this problem (generating psk) aswell (version 1.4.1) and after quite a few hours troubleshooting, trying all i could think of (including reinstalling) i finally removed wicd again (via pacman) and this time i deleted the remaining files in /usr/lib/wicd before reinstalling and Ka-thing! It works once again.

I guess its a bug in wicd since it was trying to generate a WPA-psk file for one of my WEP-networks.
what treiggered it I do not know roll
So if you are really frustrated with troubleshooting, uninstall and REMOVE all left over files. Might work.

Last edited by vistor (2008-01-28 02:02:36)

Board footer